Coffee for stovetop espresso

demokritos

Registered
What coffee do people get here? At Jumbo today (yatay + guardia vieja) I noticed the following options for those who don't want sugar-ground:

125 gram tins of Illy medium roast, 48 pesos
^^ Segafredo, same price
250 gram tins of Lavazza Rossa (yes!), 106 pesos

And:
1 kilo bags of Cabrales (nacional) beans, ~130 pesos

It's great to see Italian brands, although the price leaves much to be desired. Do those who have already solved this problem have any recommendations?

demokritos said:
What coffee do people get here? At Jumbo today (yatay + guardia vieja) I noticed the following options for those who don't want sugar-ground:

125 gram tins of Illy medium roast, 48 pesos
^^ Segafredo, same price
250 gram tins of Lavazza Rossa (yes!), 106 pesos

And:
1 kilo bags of Cabrales (nacional) beans, ~130 pesos

It's great to see Italian brands, although the price leaves much to be desired. Do those who have already solved this problem have any recommendations?

I buy freshly roasted Brazilian coffe in Bahia Blanca for about 100 pesos per kilo.

It's wonderful.

Unfortunately, Starbucks coffee is going to be your best option in terms of quality. There are lots of things I love about Argentine, but coffee isn't one of them.

Your other option is to find an excuse to go to go to Brazil, Ecuador, or Colombia. ;) On my last trip to Brazil, I brought back 8 kilos of coffee. I like the Pilao brand, but there are other good ones. A kilo of decent coffee in Brazil costs around $8 USD.

The other brand I like is from Colombia, and it is called Sello Rojo. I bought several kilos in Ecuador, and it's about the same price.

Cabrales now do a purple bag of ground coffee that's "libre de azucar", you can even get it in the chino supermercados. Otherwise, establecimiento general de cafe have a good range. www.estcafe.com.ar and a quarter starts in the forties I think, goes up to four hundred!

Whenever I travel to Europe or the U.S., I bring back several kilos of good coffee, since I refuse to pay the extortionate Argentine prices for what is usually a fairly crappy product.

That said, if you can't get out of the country any time soon, this place might be a good bet: http://www.fullcitycoffeeco.com/. I haven't been there myself, but have read some rave reviews online and do plan on checking it out soon (the owner is from a Colombian coffee family, and they grind and roast their own brand in-house.)

CarverFan said:
Cabrales now do a purple bag of ground coffee that's "libre de azucar", you can even get it in the chino supermercados. Otherwise, establecimiento general de cafe have a good range. www.estcafe.com.ar and a quarter starts in the forties I think, goes up to four hundred!
I second the estcafe recommendation, but they are super pricey.

I buy our house's coffee in Chacarita - http://www.cafe-elcontinente.com.ar/. Take the 39 to it's terminal, it is just across the street!

This is a shop that roasts and sells beans and grounds to different cafes and restaurants throughout the city. I found it since I lived on the other side of the street for two years. I usually buy the columbian roast, and have them grind it for me there for our drip machine. They can also grind it for espresso machines, or just sell you the beans for you to grind it yourself. Has an amazing smell, and is actually good tasting! Not ridiculously expensive for the quality, about 25-30 pesos the 1/4 kilo.

Of course I am not a coffee snob (or a snob of any kind for that matter) but maybe you will find it useful!

Trying to get my head around the concept of Starbucks and Good Coffee in the same sentence. Does not compute....i just drink the local muck with plenty of sugar rather than pretending Starbucks has a flavour beyond burnt cigarette ends.

Back