Colegio Nacional De Buenos Aires ?

artigas

Registered
We have an opportunity for our son to attend CNBA next year. Anybody had children attend or have attend themselves? Is the CNBA reputation still well regarded in Argentina today? Is CNBA know outside of Aregentina, is it well regarded? Any views on the pros and cons of CNBA compared to the better Private Schools in BA?

I am not sure of its reputation now, probably still good but I doubt what it used to be. I would try it and see. It's free.

My husband and all his friends went there, admittedly 20 years ago, but amongst them is a federal judge and one of the country's leading gastro surgeons. I think it still has a good reputation and the classes they offer, astronomy for example, sounded leaps and bounds ahead of my public education back home. If we're still living here with kids at that age (many many moons from now) I'd send my kids there without a second thought.

You can provide him with money for room and board much more cheaply than in the US, especially considering the savings on tuition. He will learn a lot here, not necessarily in the classroom. I should have sent all my children to Argentina to college. Out of sight out of mind.

You can provide him with money for room and board much more cheaply than in the US, especially considering the savings on tuition. He will learn a lot here, not necessarily in the classroom. I should have sent all my children to Argentina to college. Out of sight out of mind.

Yes but this is a high school and I assume that the family is all located here

My son is in his last year of primary at a good private school, some of his friends are trying for CNBA. It still does have a good reputation, especially for the contacts that can be made with future politicians, top business men, etc. I thought about my son trying out, but the year long night course to get in seemed a bit excessive for a boy who's only 12, included learning Latin among other things. My problem with CNBA is that the students go "on strike" and take over the school every year, sometimes for weeks and disrupt the whole school. However, if the rest of the studies are run at the same high standard as their entry programme, it should be an excellent school.

I tried to get in in 1992, and I made it, only at night. So I dismissed it and went to his "cousin", the ILSE.
The ILSE, the Carlos Pellegrini and the CNBA are arguably the best three high schools in the country. The three of them depend on UBA. If they graduate there, they can skip the CBC, the first year at UBA carreers. Only the ILSE is semi-private, unlike the other two, you have to wear uniform and pay something like 1500 pesos/month.
I had Latin and it was said it was harder than CNBA..
I think the CNBA had also greek.

The CNBA has a lot of prestige and you there have to study a lot, you have no option, and by study I mean sacrifice several weekends, in an age which that is difficult. Its university level,

CNBA is a gem of Argentine education system, probably is not what it used to be, but it can be compared to what Hospital de Clinicas is to public health.

I have three girls in school here, only two of them in high school still. I wish they had been able to enter one of the high-level national schools, because they probably have one of the best overall curriculum in Argentina, good resources, good professors. This from data a couple of years old, admittedly - I knew a couple of families that had kids in school there, but I haven't kept in contact with them. The strikes are irritations, for sure, and I'm sure they may learn some things that only Argentina knows how to teach (like, for example, striking), but overall I'd say an opportunity to go to school there beats places like Lincoln if only because it's free and the education is probably on par at least.

As for Latin - anyone who speaks a language descended from Latin would be doubly-enriched by taking Latin. It's certainly no more difficult than any other second (or third, or fourth) language if you're dealing with the same (or almost the same) alphabet. Not to mention the learning that goes on about foundations of western culture and translating such people as Cicero and Caesar. People may consider it a "dead" language, but they're wrong, it lives in so many languages today and a good base in Latin provides a very strong insight into all those languages descended from Latin, including English, BTW (though English is much more corrupt in Latin terms than other, "Romance", languages).

Back