Coleslaw

Fabe

Registered
Does anyone know what coleslaw is called here ? Is it called ensalada rusa ?

They go way overboard with the mayonnaise here on too many foods. Ensalada rusa is potato salad. And "russian dressing" is called "salsa golf". People used to ask my grandfather (who was russian) "oh, can you give me the recipie for REAL russian dressing" and his reply was "you think they have russian dressing in russia, I never heard of it until I came to the USA". We looked up the recipie and it's equal parts of ketchup, mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon of pickle relish. My grandfather said "how strange, because in russia I never heard of ketchup, or mayonnaise, or pickle relish either"

Davidglen77 said:
They go way overboard with the mayonnaise here on too many foods. Ensalada rusa is potato salad. And "russian dressing" is called "salsa golf". People used to ask my grandfather (who was russian) "oh, can you give me the recipie for REAL russian dressing" and his reply was "you think they have russian dressing in russia, I never heard of it until I came to the USA". We looked up the recipie and it's equal parts of ketchup, mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon of pickle relish. My grandfather said "how strange, because in russia I never heard of ketchup, or mayonnaise, or pickle relish either"
thats funny!

Verry funny indeed !
I searched and found ensalada de col , and ensalada de repolo , but I remember ( or not ) it being called by another name that i cant quite place.

Even funnier was when I worked with a chinese woman named Tiffany Chan.......before she went on vacation to china one year to visit her family, she asked "what do you guys want me to bring back from china" my co-worker asked her for some "real authentic" fortune cookies. Tiffany said "what?? you think they have fortune cookies in china?? The first time I ever saw fortune cookies was when I came to the USA." She than said "yeah I am going to tell my grandmother hey grandma, I really would like a fresh hot batch of homemade fortune cookies".......go figure!

At Kansas you can get a very respectable coleslaw under the name coleslaw.

I started making coleslaw at summer get-togethers for my Argentine in-laws when I first got here and now they oblige me to continue making it.
I've had porteño versions of it here, but it doesn't have the soul of the typical mid-western-church-picnic type slaw that I grew up with. Creamy or not, it didn't have the right "stuff".
For one thing, not enough black pepper (I assume that is due to BsAsers aversion to anything remotely spicy tasting). The slaw was usually cut too wide, and there wasn't generally a good balance to the recipe.
I maintain the same amount of salt/pepper as I always did, but to make it more palatable to Argentine tastes I add a green apple diced fairly fine, and add a good slathering of honey (or mix sugar with OJ). If I go with a creamy version, I add a bit of nutmeg to the mayo/mustard mix to smooth it out.
Some people are surprised that I add sugar or honey, but if you've ever worked in a kitchen, or read the ingredients on a bottle of slaw dressing; it does have a lot of sugar. Check out FoodNetwork for some good recipes.

EDIT: ohh, and don't use soy oil. There's something not right in the taste of it, I stick with a light corn oil.

Back