Collecting Mail From The Us In Retiro

Girino

Registered
I had my first mail shipping from the US to Argentina, ever.
It is a USPS First Class Mail International shipping consisting of letters, but I think there was something bulky (maybe the checkbook?!) and it is showing up on USPS as
Postal Product:
  • First-Class Package International Service
Features:
  • International Letter

My shipping departed from Miami on November 8th (it went completely off the tracking radar after then) and today the mailman delivered an Aviso saying that I have to collect my mail in Retiro. The Aviso also reads that I have to pay ARS 40,00 as Tasa de presentacion a la aduana, and there is this printout: Previo a retirar su envio, debe cumplimentar los requisitos de la res. gral. nro 3579 (en pagina Web AFIP). It also said that the weight is 0,000 kg, so I think it is really just a large flat envelope made of thin cardboard.

I read this thread by lucha54 about the form and stuff, but the content of my Letter/Package (who knows!) is just bank letters, two checks to be collected, a new checkbook. What value should I declare and why should I pay ARS 40,00 to collect papers?
I don't have a clave fiscal nor does my husband. I don't want to register to AFIP to collect my letters, for god's sake!

Anyway I am surprised in a positive way that it took just 10 days to get here. Now let's see if I can bring it home tomorrow - but I need your tips. THANKS!

Just open the pkg and argue with them. They will give in. Also the first pkg of the year is free.

We called the Correo customer service and says we have to file the paper anyway, and apply for a clave fiscal for a payment of 0 ARS.

That's the dumbest thing EVER.

We called the Correo customer service and says we have to file the paper anyway, and apply for a clave fiscal for a payment of 0 ARS.

That's the dumbest thing EVER.
Serafina, En la gran Argentina todo vale. Mas los extranjeros pagan doble !

I'll go teach them some Italian ways to deal with this shit.

It's just some papers?! I was under the impression that if they fold the paper in thirds and it comes in a normal-sized envelope and the weight that only a few papers should be, it goes straight to your door and not through Retiro.

It's just some papers?! I was under the impression that if they fold the paper in thirds and it comes in a normal-sized envelope and the weight that only a few papers should be, it goes straight to your door and not through Retiro.

This is why I had it shipped it here. Apparently Schwab emailed me my checks in a small box, so it was bulky, the others are just checks to be collected and letters. I had everything forwarded by a mail service, so I don't know what package they actually used.
I don't know what they expect me to pay nor if they have opened the package. If they did, they'd see there is nothing but paper.
I am a little worried they will question my checks.... they are considered equivalent to cash for some purposes, but I am not sure how aduana consider them.

Anyway I'll just go there and see, I don't have a clave fiscal, I don't have yet my DNI (it is in process and should be delivered within January).

The last time someone sent me a letter, I had to go to Correo Argentino, but one in my neighborhood. Unless the person sending it to you has the same last name meaning a family member is sending it to you, they charge you a minimum fee. I was lucky that my uncle and I have the same last name.

I used a mail forwarding service in the US, so no same surname.

Back