Colombia vacation

jb5

Registered
We are looking for an upscale vacation in Colombia, mostly beach as we will have a child with us. Looking for pretty beaches, a nice town with good restaurants and not throngs of tourists. Any help appreciated!

You should consider Cartagena. Here you have some nice hotels like Tcherassi Hotel + Spa and La Passion . From Cartagena you can go to Islas del Rosario, where you can find some beautiful beaches and resorts.

Reactions: jb5
I have to agree with the above poster about cartagena. The old town is very pretty - outside the walled city is a dump, or atleast the drive from the old city to the bus terminal looked like that.
The beaches are pretty average at best in colombia, i traveled down the coast from santa marta to tolú, however most of the little islands of the coast are very pretty - with white sandy palm lined tropical beaches.
San Andrés and Providencia islands might also be worth a look.

I loved cartagena. Beaches there are okay although I recommend taking a boat out to one of the islands - much nicer and quieter.

We stayed outside of the walled city in a resort and it was meh, wouldn't recommend it. But there are lots of nice places outside of the walled part of the city and wouldn't describe any of them as a dump.

Sofitel in Cartagena (old part of the city) is amazing. It's a converted convent and SO pretty.

Cartagena is magical!! The Rosa Islands are a quick boat ride away and the beaches are pristine. Eat loads of plantains, avocado, seafood and fresh maracuya!

I just spent a month in Colombia, and three weeks of that was on the Colombian coast. My boyfriend is from there. I would agree with Cartagena if you have a young child. It was packed with Argentine and Colombian tourists when I was there (as was the whole coast), but if you're just now in the planning stages that won't be a problem for you.

The historical center is absolutely magical. If you can stay there, do. I found nothing dumpy about the part outside of the center, but we stayed in Bocagrande. Lots of new high rise buildings there. Cartagena can be as upscale as you are willing to pay for. The beaches are nice, much better than Argentina and Uruguay, but the swimming pool-blue water can only be found if you take a boat out to Rosario or Playa Blanca. You will have to say no, gracias about 50 times per day as the people selling things on the beach are quite aggressive. Not at all like in Brazil. Be especially aware of the women selling massages. They are the most annoying of them all... Even in the water the guy selling ice cream was swimming around with the cooler trying to sell it!! But oh, lunch on the beach is a delight. Pescado frito, arroz con coco, patacones, ensalada. I already miss it.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

I'm planning a trip there in April. Has anyone been to Parque Tayrona? Worth checking out?

Never made it to Cartegena in 2009, but we're going in a coupe of weeks. Is the Sofiel still the place to stay?

Some former US Secret Service agents might be able to provide you with some good tips about activities in Cartagena :D

Back