Colonia -- a single day or overnight?

TedA

Registered
If can impose once again on you kind people with knowledge of the region.....

I plan to take a ferry ride over and see Colonia and have heard it can be seen in one day. Therefore, is there any value, other than just chilling, in getting a hotel and staying overnight? (And it seems they charge a whole lot more in Uraguay than in Argentina for hotel).

Also, any opinions on Buquebus vs. Colonia Express?

Thanks, in advance, for any guidance!

TA

I wouldn't stay overnight in Colonia. If you're going to stay overnight anywhere in Uruguay, I'd do it in Montevideo.

I'd go with BuqueBus. You can take the B line to the very end, to Leandro Alem station and walk to BB. Isn't Colonia Express in La Boca or something? Eek.

I've just been re-reading your maiden post, Ted and in the light of what you say about yourself I thought I'd add this... Yes, you can do Colonia in a day - get there early enough on the right days and you can visit all the main features, do the museums, have a bite to eat and be back in Buenos Aires before you know it. Colonia is not famous for its buzzin' nightlife. It's small and it goes to sleep early. On the other hand, porteños love to go and stay over precisely because it's peaceful and they can unwind and relax a bit. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice. Or scoot along to Montevideo as Bradleyhale suggests.

One full day is more than enough for Colonia; 2 days might be snoozeballs. You could always visit Colonia, then hop on the bus and head to Montevideo for a couple of days.

one day is plenty for colonia. if you go on a week day, buquebus usually has deals on their website. I suggest renting a golf cart from thrifty at the colonia terminal to get around over there, it's a riot!

Not more then 3-4 hours. If you stay longer you will have to go from one bar or restaurant to the other... just to pass the time. It is nice, but very small. The bars aren't great, the restaurants either.

I walked and walked and there is not a single corner or house that I didn't get a picture off, out of boredom...

Thanks, all, for the insight on Colonia. If I go, it'll be an over-and-back the same day. But.....

Is Montevideo worth working into the itinerary? What to do and see?

Hi, I just moved to BA 3 months ago with my family. My wife is Argentinian and her parents live in Colonia. I can tell you (from experience) that Colonia can be done in one day. The first 2 hrs are great because it´s new and different from BA however once you walk down the historic side streets, eat at a local cafe you basically count down the time until your boat departs. I enjoy it because my in laws have an estate 5 minutes out of the main area. As for your option between Colonia express and buquebus, its pretty much the same, with a difference in about a 20 minutes, but Buquebus typically has the largest ships. Have fun and take a camera.

SimpleMark

Back