Colonia Express Stormy River Crossing...!

I was on Colonia Express last night during the storm, motion-wise it was OK, the water falling from the roof and in through the windows was another problem.

I think Id greatly perder that to my storm day experience with them which was "your trip has been indefinitely postponed."

In 2000, I was the supply officer on a 270' Coast Guard Cutter stationed in Key West. Nothing compares to the night we had to leave port to avoid a hurricane heading our way. We experienced 45' waves and 75 mph winds!

I can sympathize - it might have been the same year or '99, I was on a drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico around 100 miles off the cost of Louisiana and we had to evacuate. Waves we encountered were around 25'. We were in winds of about 40-50 mph. 150' (as I recall) crew/work boat packed to the gills with crew from our rig and one other. Cracked my ribs trying to get a drink at the water fountain when we hit a wave so hard my feet left the deck and my hand on the seat nearby was the only thing that kept me in the general vicinity of the water fountain, but unfortunately the back of the chair was what I cracked my ribs on as I landed. I remember my stomach hurt so bad from hitting wave crests, one after the other for hours (I've never been seasick, didn't even get sick on that ride). The ribs didn't help much either.

The video looks like a calm day on a placid lake with a few sprinles by comparison...

Actually, kind of making fun (just a little bit) of such a little bit of froth on a relatively calm bay :)

I was landing at EZE during the storm. We spun around in the air for 30-45 minutes, then had a pretty choppy landing reminiscent of a roller coaster. The rest of the experience I'll put in a separate post.

It's like the Four Yorkshire men, but on a boat :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Back