Coming to BA this Dec/Jan - some questions!

OliviaShu

Registered
Hey everyone :)
We are a family of three, my husband and my little boy who’s 7 months old. We are looking at coming to BA for a couple of months, we are from Australia. But we are hearing how dangerous it now is because of the current economic climate. Some people have said we shouldn’t travel with a baby, that it’s too dangerous because of the crime. What is your experience of it all right now? We were told there are only a couple if districts that are safe enough to go to?
Any feedback is much appreciated.

I do not have the impression Buenos Aires is less safe than 3 or 5 years ago. I see more people sleeping in the streets. I have been walking home about 30-40 minutes for a month almost every night after the milongas end (between 2 AM and 7AM) and had no troubles in the streets in the barrios Palermo, Villa Crespo, Almagro and Caballito. Also not during the day. I think the unsafety reports are exaggerated. Actually I am seeing more police in the street than before.

Download this tool http://policiadelaciudad.gob.ar/?q=content/mapa-del-delito and browse the reported crime. Now: download the equivalent from your own home area (nearly all police forces have something similar) and compare. In terms of the crime you are likely to stumble upon on vacation I don't suppose there's much difference. Unless, of course, you live so far beyond the black stump that the most recent reported crime was when Joey Brown stole Sally Morgan's knickers off her washing line back in 1954

The economic pressures will always make people more and more hysterical, some may see a flashy iPhone and think ‘that’s the equivalent of food for my baby and diapers for half a year’ and grab it if you are flashing it around 9 de Julio for example.

Also the enormous amount of economic disparity has caused more and more resentment lately, also the fact that it’s so in your face because of the proximity doesn’t help (the Four Seasons hotel and Patio Bullrich are literally steps from the Villa), so unlike some cities, just being at one block’s distance can make all the difference of safe or questionable.

That being said, i wouldn’t forego a trip because of safety issues and the fact that you have a small child, I assume your worry behind this is kidnappings and this, at the moment, is not very common in Buenos Aires.

I would recommend you stay in one of the safer areas (Recoleta, Palermo, etc) and just use big city common sense (don’t flash your phone, don’t leave your purse hanging on a chair, etc) and avoid walking alone and in questionable areas especially at night.

My wife and I are in our sixties. We go out to see music late at night all over the city, taking buses home at midnight and later. NO problems. Leave the rolex at home, dont flash a 1000 dollar iphone, and you will be just fine. Argentines love children, and everyone will be cooing over the baby.

Hey everyone :)
We are a family of three, my husband and my little boy who’s 7 months old. We are looking at coming to BA for a couple of months, we are from Australia. But we are hearing how dangerous it now is because of the current economic climate. Some people have said we shouldn’t travel with a baby, that it’s too dangerous because of the crime. What is your experience of it all right now? We were told there are only a couple if districts that are safe enough to go to?
Any feedback is much appreciated.
As is the case anywhere, don't walk down streets counting money, waiving your cell phone or flashing your Rolex watch. If you try that even in Miami, you'll get mugged.

People really exaggerate the "danger". There is petty crime like all major cities around the world. Just avoid flashy jewelry and be careful with expensive cameras. iPhones these days and nice phones are very common but still take precaution when in busy areas (especially on the subway). Locals love babies and kids. Your biggest danger will be crossing the streets as the locals are notoriously bad drivers and having a baby stroller won't make you immune. So be careful crossing the street.

Also, note that no taxis have car seats but no one will require that you have one if you have your baby. All the advice on this thread is very good and accurate.

But by all means come on vacation. You'll have a great time.

you will be just fine as the others said. book your trip and enjoy it!

Loved it there and I went around on my own a lot and I'm from little old NZ. Just remember not many people speak English so write down your hotel address in case you get lost . They will find your accent hard to understand like they did mine. Have a great time .

Back