Comparison Of Dhl, Fedex And Ups In Buenos Aires

Ceviche

Registered
I had to send some important documents today.

I have used Argentine postal system successfully but I rather not try it with these docs.

So I went to avenida Cabildo. DHL, UPS Express and Fedex are situated in close proximity to each other.

First stop.

DHL

The worst amongst the three. First a long que as they also assist in US visa applications. When my turn came, the lady refused to talk to me, till she had my DNi in her hand. So she takes a copy of my DNI and inspects it for a long time..much longer than any immigration officer of any country, where I travel to.

Then she asks, to see my documents. Weighs them..tells me the price 1350 pesos. Delivery - Monday
Then she takes down my address in a very disdainful manner.
Finally, when I am thinking I am done..and I am just about to pay -- She opens up my documents and starts studying them. They are not in English or Spanish..so she gets super suspicious and starts studying them very deeply...as if doing a sherlock holmes and cracking a tough case!

At this moment, i lose my patience and tell her to hand over my docs to me. She refuses. i tell her, I have no interest in using DHL and she refuses. Then I raise my voice..She also raises her voice and threaten me Police action. So then I say, she can call police but I have no interest in using their services and she needs to give my docs back.

Lesson Learnt - Avoid DHL in BA

Next Stop

UPS express

Two girls sitting there. Straight away ask me what i want and without confirming the addressee or pin code...tell me my cost is 1150 pesos. Delivery - Tuesday

I say, No

the girls were not rude or polite.

Next Stop

Fedex

The best service. Super polite guys ( two men on duty). Documents/DNI not asked for. My documents not opened or inspected. I fill up the address and they pack my docs and they are ready to go.

Price 850 peso
Delivery - Saturday

=====

Lessons learnt

Fedex is the best bet on BA

cheapest prices
Fastest delivery
Most polite attitude
No drama of inspecting docs or dni etc

Hope this helps

I wish you'd posted this about 3 hours ago! :)

Used to be that DHL was much less expensive than FedEx. I guess I haven't shopped around for quite awhile and was still assuming.

We had to send my oldest girl a package in Europe. On Thursday last week, I went in person and talked to them and made sure that everything was OK for me to send a package to Venice this week to get there on Friday. They quoted me 850 pesos. Today I couldn't go, so my wife took the package and sent it off - 1350 pesos!!!! It will arrive on Friday, which is good for our requirements, but I couldn't believe they jacked the price up 500 pesos in 4 business days.

Next time I will look at FedEx.

Hello, I have a question along the same lines. I have a wedding to attend in a few months and I would like to purchase a dress to wear to it from ModCloth, an online store in the USA. They do international deliveries either through postal mail or, with more money, UPS or FedEX or such. My question is, will I be able to receive a package in the mail? I know there are importation limitations here so I wonder if ordering a dress would be a problem. Has anyone done this before?

First of all, that DHL girl had no business whatsoever reading your personal documents.
Secondly, this country has bureaucracy so ingrained in its culture, that if you give someone a position of authority it instantly goes to their head.
Don't start me ranting on that or you'll never hear the end of it.
In fact, she should have been fired for what she did, but of course firing anyone here is a no no.

I sent my British passport application through Argentine air mail certified and received my new passport via DHL about two weeks later, which was incredible.I wasn't at home at the time, so the DHL bloke kindly volunteered to take everything to my shop a couple of miles away by phoning me.

First of all, that DHL girl had no business whatsoever reading your personal documents.
Secondly, this country has bureaucracy so ingrained in its culture, that if you give someone a position of authority it instantly goes to their head.

Very true. I was shocked by her attitude. The last straw which broke the camel's back was when she mixed up the neatly pinned documents ( in a chronological order) as she made a attempt to investigate. I had put them in a specific order. I was so furious that not only did I not use DHL, but when I finally sent the docs via Fedex, I sent the docs in the mixed state..

I actually wanted to spit on the bitch's face for trying to show her f*7king authority using her damn pea sized brain.

Back