Composting in your apartment

jantango

Registered
Last month I attended a Zoom chat by the city on creating apartment gardens and composting. I got started with composting two days ago, using a plastic garbage container with lid that I lined with a recyclable bag. I want to reduce the amount of garbage I throw out and put it to good use as compost. I needed dry materials to add and found all the dry leaves and twigs I need for weeks at the nearby plaza.

Today I received an email from the city letting me know that compost bags are being given out this Friday and Saturday at 15 Puntos Verdes from 10-16 hs. The following information is posted on the city's website to get people started with composting, thereby reducing all the organic materials that end up in landfills.

With a very easy technique to "recycle" those waste that we generate in our kitchen and that, in general, we discard as garbage can be transformed.

Composting is a biological process that allows us to transform our organic waste into compost: a natural fertilizer that is very nutritious for plants. It is, then, a very easy and effective technique to "recycle" those waste that we generate in our kitchen and that, in general, we discard as garbage.

That is why the Ministry of Public Space and Urban Hygiene of the City prepared the Home Composting Guide specially designed so that you can develop this practice in your home. There you will find all the necessary information to carry out this process that has a clearly positive balance for the environment, as it not only allows us to obtain a fertilizer that will greatly benefit our plants, but also helps us reduce the amount of garbage that we send to a landfill and, in this way, we can protect the planet, by reducing the greenhouse gases that these wastes release into the atmosphere.

How do I start composting?

It is easy. You only need two things:

• An appropriate container. That is, a compost bin:

There are different models available on the market. However, you don't need to buy one: you can make a homemade compost bin by stacking different plastic containers on top of each other. On the internet there are several tutorials that explain how to make a compost bin using, for example, paint buckets.

• And organic waste:

As for the latter, you will not have a problem getting them either: almost half of the waste that you produce every day in your home is organic. However, not all of them are compostable. In the compost bin you can throw fruit and vegetable remains, egg shells, yerba, coffee and tea bags, but never remains of meat or animal fats.

It is also important to add the so-called "brown remains", which make it possible to compensate for the excessive humidity of the other organics. Said residues are, for the most part, pruning remains such as twigs, leaves and earth; although they include papers and cardboard (as long as they do not have prints and are not mixed with plastic), sawdust and shavings.

Once you have everything, you can start filling your compost bin with the waste that you are separating in your home. The bacteria will do their job and, within 3-5 months, you will have your first compost.

Attachments

• DSCN4758.JPG
    DSCN4758.JPG
    459.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN4759.JPG
    DSCN4759.JPG
    429.9 KB · Views: 5
Back