Compulsory blood test to get married!!!???

erian

Registered
Has any expats who have married an Argentine had the experience of having to get a blood test exactly 7 days before you get married or else they will not marry you??

I know an English guy here who tomorrow has to get it done. Bizarre!!! Is it true?

I dont remember if it had to be EXACTLY 7 days but yes we had to have it done when we got married (I am an expat, my husband is Argentine). Its compulsory to do here. I think they are checking to make sure that the couple is not related.

I also am an expat, my husband is Argentine, we too got the blood test. It can be carried out at a private or public hospital and it's purpose is to screen for venereal diseases (STDs). If either one of the couple has a venereal disease during contagion period, they will not be allowed to marry.

Yes, it's true. :p We did it 5-7 days before... and then we had to pick up the results and take them to the registro civil. It must be done at a public hospital on the days they tell you. They really don't give you a lot of time or leeway and the whole thing is pretty much a joke. The physical portion of it took about 30 seconds - they listen to your heart and look at the backs and palms of your hand.

We had to do it at a public hospital. We would have much preferred to go to a private clinic, but weren't given the option. We are in provincia, so not sure if it's different for us.

walkingtwig said:
I also am an expat, my husband is Argentine, we too got the blood test. It can be carried out at a private or public hospital and it's purpose is to screen for venereal diseases (STDs). If either one of the couple has a venereal disease during contagion period, they will not be allowed to marry.

I do know of someone who was diagnosed with HIV shortly after getting married,this had been contracted several years before and had not been noted by the pre wedding blood test.

So, a bit of a waste of time really.

solerboy said:
I do know of someone who was diagnosed with HIV shortly after getting married,this had been contracted several years before and had not been noted by the pre wedding blood test.

So, a bit of a waste of time really.

It is crazy they test for the old STD's but completely ignore things like HIV.

Personally i have no problem with having test but it really should be brought into the modern world.

walkingtwig said:
It can be carried out at a private or public hospital

Yep. Anyone getting married in Argentina has to have the blood test. My wife and I had to get it.

But I believe walkingtwig is incorrect when they say it can be done in a private clinic. We were told it MUST be done at the public hospital (which was fairly disgusting).

They told us it wasn't allowed to be done at a private clinic for fear of corruption or test altered but maybe things have changed in the past few years.

Did you have to do some kind of information session before getting married? Had someone tell me it was required but I think he was getting the religious stuff (ie, pre-cana) mixed up with with civil stuff.

My understanding was that you make your appt, you get your blood test and exam, you show up with a valid passport with current stamp (assuming you're a tourist) or your documents (if you're a resident) and 2 witnesses and voila - married.

Can someone clarify?

citygirl said:
My understanding was that you make your appt, you get your blood test and exam, you show up with a valid passport with current stamp (assuming you're a tourist) or your documents (if you're a resident) and 2 witnesses and voila - married.

Can someone clarify?

Yep. I believe that was it. I was somewhat inebriated at the time so it's a bit of a blur ... I do recall handing over some money at one point. Then the judge gave us her little pep talk. Went like this ...

Judge: "Ok, today is the big day. You look prepared since you have all of your documents. Those are lovely flowers."
Me: "Thanks!"
Judge: (looking at my Bride) I want to mention something about the sanctity of marriage and infidelity."
My Bride: (looking at me) "Ok ... ?"
Judge: "If there is infidelity in the marriage that is no reason to bring more infidelity into the marriage. There must be room for forgiveness."
My Bride: (glancing down to my testicular area) "No problem."

I'm not kidding. :eek:

Back