Concerning Bicisendas

Hache

Registered
I really want to know what expats have to say about bicisendas. I've been a bicycle freak all my life. I was a road cyclist for two years 15 years ago. I gave up when I stopped enjoying it. I stopped enjoying it when I realized it was unreasonably dangerous. I realized it was unreasonably dangerous after I understood I was too vulnerable no matter how careful I could be. Cycling was a very important part of my life but I wasn't willing to give my life for it. I concluded that exposing myself in such unsafe way was irresponsible behavior. I quit.

Seven years ago I bought a mountain bike with the intention of using it for transportation. No adrenaline this time, or so I thought. The sequence went pretty much the same as with road cycling. I ended up giving up. Despite being so safety-concerned and using helmet, rear-view mirror (is it so hard to understand that in order to cycle in the traffic you MUST have one just like any other vehicle in it?) and lights (front and back), and always respecting every traffic sign, again I couldn't help feeling too vulnerable and exposed. I decided that from that point on cycling would only be a recreational activity like skiing (another passion) limited to places outside a city environment. Risks and responsibility will always be there, but assuming certain risks isn't reckless behavior.

Although "retired", I couldn't ignore the program the BA government has started, and at this point anyone can see it isn't welcome by a more than considerable part of the population.

I'd like to hear opinions from people from other places (especially big cities like BA). I can't help asking myself the following questions, though. Feel free to answer them if you wish:

Is a city with a traffic so unorganized ready for the inclusion of an organized cycling plan?

Are bicisendas more important than responsible cycling education? Would responsible, educated cyclists need bicisendas? If they do need them whatsoever, is it because of the dangers cycling in a chaotic BA imply? Again, is BA traffic ready for implementing bicycle as a transportation alternative?

Would you use bicisendas?

Do the authorities understand that such plan will bring new cyclists that in most cases will ignore traffic rules and underestimate the risks of cycling in a city environment when riding on streets without bicisenda?

Do you know of any cycling education campaign being implemented together with the construction of bicisendas?

Based on your personal experience wherever you come from, do you think bicisendas are necessary or at least they will bring some kind of improvement to an organized and efficient traffic environment?

Am I the only one here who believes that (no matter how well intentioned those in charge may be) promoting the use of bicycles as a healthy and environment-friendly transportation alternative in a city with some very serious unsolved traffic issues is to say the least naive?

I think they're a good idea, as you said part of the reason people don't ride is because they are afraid of getting run over by a colectivo. the new ''bicisendas" at least reduce the chance of that happening.

I would use them, absolutely. I lived in Berlin for ~6 months and if they are available AND their appropriate use in enforced (vs all the cars I see parked in the bicisendas here and people walking in them, eg on Suipacha in the centro) people will use them. I used them every day without reservation, or feeling scared for my life. In SF it was little scary as yes there re bike lines but not SEPARATED from the traffic. Sorry a painted white line is not going to protect you hehe.
There is a little bit of talk about bike issues in a thread called Masa Critica in the Culture section I think.
The real problem here in BsAs for bikes is that there are just too many cars for the space. Plus there is a car-centric mentality here wherein drivers believe they are entitled to dominate space and to put other peoples' lives at risk. I think even non-drivers believe this too, seeing how timid they are in confronting drivers and how they don't feel entitled to take the right of way when crossing the street. Perhaps self-preservation for the latter example though haha.

As for your question about whether it will work in BsAs...I don't know. :/ There first needs to be a way to address the auto traffic issue...reduce the number of cars circulating. Open up big no-car thoroughfares. Some cities on Europe design their streets so that the cars are forced to use the perimeter roads to navigate the city...I am not sure exactly how it works but I know in some European cities I really feel the difference. The noise level is down, you can be relaxed walking on the sidewalk or in a ped-only area. There are fewer 'cars per minute' passing on the street.

After this changes perhaps everyone will feel ok to get on a bike in the city.

I started to assert myself more as a pedestrian here. Given a certain distance, if I see a car coming and I can cross the street I step out now. Not RIGHT in front so I cause an accident. They have time to see me and to slow down without being really delayed. But boy, they get mad. They honk, say stuff, flash their lights. Drivers. I'm going to keep doing it too; perhaps one or two drivers will get used to slowing down or god forbid stopping for people to cross the street

The problems are that most of the streets are too narrow, the drivers wouldn´t care it they hit a bicyclist or a pedestrian. I was on Siupacha, going to my bicycle store, recently. The street is now closed to traffic (around Tucuman) and has marked bicycle lanes. The walking folk ignore the lanes. Weather permitting, I use my bike almost daily to run errands in and arounf Recoleta. I´m on the sidewalk a lot. Have you noticed the number of trash cans that they have put on poles? I think that it´s a deterrent for bicycle parking. Too bad that the trash cans don´t have instructions on them. The streets aren´t any cleaner.
We shouldn´t complain, I read, yesterday, that in N.Y.C. (EEUU) bicyclists are given summonses for not using hand signals, not having proper reflective lights etc. A Councilwoman in New Jersey (EEUU) proposed, this week, that all bicycles be registered with license plates. She withdrew her suggestion.

Back