Conditions for laser eye surgery covered by OSDE

dieuvu218

Registered
Dear all,

I'm an expat who has been working in BsAs for 6 months and I have OSDE 310. As I know, this health plan covers corrective eye surgery (laser eye surgery). Actually a lot has been written about this on the forum. I just want to clarify the conditions to be qualified for the surgery.

- I read from a thread that OSDE only covers corrective eye surgery*if you use any of their plans for at least a year. How true is it? I only have my OSDE for 6 months.
- The type of my OSDE is obra social, instead of prepaga (I heard that the difference is that if you get the OSDE from your employer, it's obra social. You get the other when you pay by yourself) With obra social, I can continue to use OSDE 3 months after I leave the job (I'm not completely sure about this. Again, it's just something I heard) In that case, can I still have my corrective eye surgery after I leave the job?

By the way, anybody knows where they do LASEK surgery instead of LASIK in BsAs?

Any information or advice is truly appreciated.

Thank you so much!!!

Stop by an OSDE office and ask the questions. I've always found them reliable, and usually even helpful.

If you're comfortable handling this in castellano, make an appointment with Dra. Adriana Tytiun in Caballito. She's a superb opthalmologist, docente at the medical school, and an expert in refractive surgeries. She's in your OSDE cartilla, so they'll cover a general checkup where you can discuss options with her. She can probably also advise you on OSDE coverage and procedures for the surgery.

I did all the tests for LASIK a few years back. You need OSDE for a year, so you'll need to wait another 6 months before you can do it. If you finish work you'll be responsible for paying for OSDE out of your own pocket. And 310 is pretty expensive these days...

You also need to meet the requirements OSDE set for the procedure - which is that you need a correction of +/- 3. Anything less than this, and you'll have to pay for the procedure yourself.

Don't know why they choose LASIK over LASEK. Possibly they just have a longer history of LASIK, and are better trained and equipped to perform this procedure.
Found this comparison list, might be helpful.

http://www.the-lasik-directory.com/lasik_lasek_chart.html

Back