confused about visa?

alexc7787

Registered
Hi everyone,

I am coming to BsAs in January. My plan is to teach English and stay for as long as I can. I am not quite sure how to obtain a work visa. I do know that you can stay in Argentina for 90 days and then renew it by taking a trip out of the country. But my question is, do most employers require a work visa? There are a couple schools I am interested in working at but they all require these working papers but do not help you get a visa. How are you supposed to get a job if they require a visa but the employer won't help get you one? Can anyone give me advice or any suggestions?

Thank you!

alexc7787 said:
I am coming to BsAs in January. My plan is to teach English and stay for as long as I can. I am not quite sure how to obtain a work visa. I do know that you can stay in Argentina for 90 days and then renew it by taking a trip out of the country. But my question is, do most employers require a work visa? !

The governemnt requires foreigners working in Argentina to get a work visa, but work visas are "linked" directly to the individual employer. You don't get a work visa and then go looking for a job. Work visas are not issued to those who would like to teach English, but don't have an employer who is sponsoring them.

alexc7787 said:
There are a couple schools I am interested in working at but they all require these working papers but do not help you get a visa. How are you supposed to get a job if they require a visa but the employer won't help get you one? Can anyone give me advice or any suggestions?

You have just encountered the Cartch 22 of (legally) working here. You really aren't "supposed" to (come here as a tourist and) get a job in Argentina in the first place.

Just in case you do find an employer who is willing to soponsor you, this thread covers what you would need to present to migraciones as you apply for a "work" visa.

The infamous CUIL

Clarkywarky just posted that he/she received a CUIT without a resident visa, bu I think your employer would want you to provide a CUIL. It won't hurt to ask.

steveinbsas said:
Clarkywarky just posted that he/she received a CUIT without a resident visa, bu I think your employer would want you to provide a CUIL. It won't hurt to ask.

Not necessarily. It depends on how the each school is set up & works with its teacher. My Spanish teacher was basically self employed and would send the school an invoice for her time & expenses for which she need to have a CUIT and something she explained to me where "official invoices", apparently specially printed.

Employees need CUIL.
Freelancers, independents need CUIT.

mini said:
Not necessarily. It depends on how the each school is set up & works with its teacher. My Spanish teacher was basically self employed and would send the school an invoice for her time & expenses for which she need to have a CUIT and something she explained to me where "official invoices", apparently specially printed.

Employees need CUIL.
Freelancers, independents need CUIT.

Thanks, Mini! Does this mean it IS "legal" to get a CUIT and work as a "free lancer" without a resident (work) visa issued by migraciones...or is it just an "accepted" practice?

steveinbsas said:
Thanks, Mini! Does this mean it IS "legal" to get a CUIT and work as a "free lancer" without a resident (work) visa issued by migraciones...or is it just an "accepted" practice?

Others on here have said they did/can but I can't comment. I'm just staying that you could certainly work for a school with a CUIT & invoice. You don't have to be a employee per se.

Back