Connecting with people in Buenos Aires

Betsybernard

Registered
Hi,

I am in Buenos Aires for an extended period of time and would love to hook up with some expats; how do I that? I would like to meet some people that are living here as I might want to spend more time here over the next few years. It would be very comforting to have a network of people here. Let me know how to communicate with any of you. I have been tango dancing for many years, but many of the people at milonga's do not speak English!

Thanks,
Betsy

Hi Betsy, we have a meetup “Coffee Chat” at Starbucks in Alto Palermo mall tomorrow from 5:30pm to around 8pm. It’s outside in the covered area, look for the largest table. That’s where we usually sit. Hope to see you there.

That is awesome.....looking forward to it!!! I assume the taxi driver will not need a specific address???

Betsy

Betsy, my friend AMY has a beatiful tango-hotel in Belgrano, she caters to foreign tourists mainly.
She lived in Detroit for years, and married an American, speaks fluent English of course. She gives tango classes, shows,etc.
Ref.:
EL CONVENTILLO DE LUJO
Benjamin Matienzo 2696
CABA
4779-1294
www.conventillodelujo.com

Betsy, my friend AMY has a beatiful tango-hotel in Belgrano, she caters to foreign tourists mainly.
She lived in Detroit for years, and married an American, speaks fluent English of course. She gives tango classes, shows,etc.
Ref.:
EL CONVENTILLO DE LUJO
Benjamin Matienzo 2696
CABA
4779-1294

The link doesn't work. I believe that Amy and Ray sold the building a few years ago.

In my opinion, tango visitors miss meeting locals and what the city has to offer when they associate exclusively with other English-speakers. After my first visit with a group, I made subsequent visits alone. That when I met locals and made connections. I am still in touch with a Argentinian I met in 1996 even though he moved to Europe.

Last edited:
That is awesome.....looking forward to it!!! I assume the taxi driver will not need a specific address???

Betsy

Yup, you just say “Voy a Alto Palermo Shopping”. Starbucks is at the corner of Arenales at Coronel Diaz (next to the Nike store). Coffee Chats have been going on weekly since 2014 and have been a good source of info for those who are in the process of getting established.

While I do agree with others that it is essential to learn the language of the country you choose to live in, I also understand that it doesn’t happen overnight and requires consistency and immersing yourself in the company of those who speak that new language. No shame in just getting started. I began learning Spanish the week before we arrived 5 years ago.

In any case, hope to see you tomorrow.

Ref.:
EL CONVENTILLO DE LUJO
Benjamin Matienzo 2696
CABA
4779-1294
Thanks for your note; I appreciate the response. I will reach out to her and introduce myself. Best, Betsy

Learn Spanish. Meet locals.

This is the best advice that Ceviche is giving you. That's what gave me the biggest satisfaction. Learning Spanish and being able to really connect with locals. Besides my friends that I knew from other countries that came and visited me, I almost never spent time with ex-pats only because many of them never even took the time to want to learn Spanish. Maybe that has changed over the years.

But definitely take time to learn Spanish if you don't speak the language. If you don't have time to take a class, at least do Rosetta Stone or Pimsleur Spanish. And just make flash cards and go room by room until you know all the words of everything in the room. Learn 10-20 words a day if you can and you'd be surprised how much you will learn at the end of the year.

Back