Cons to getting Argentine citizenship for Americans?

BaltRochGirl

Registered
A question for any Americans out there who have gotten Argentine citizenship, have you encountered any cons with the Argentine citizenship? Especially if you're planning to go back and live in the US later.

Would you just try for residency if you could do it again, or do you think citizenship is better?

I'm going for citizenship. I already have residency. From what I understand from the US Embassy, you don't lose your US citizenship, so there seems to be no downside. There are a lot of upsides:

1. You can invest in land and border areas here in Argentina without prior government approval.
2. You can travel to Brazil, Cuba, and other countries that either require a US citizen to have a visa or charge a reciprocal fee to US citizens or are otherwise off limits for US citizens due to political reasons.
3. You can bank and invest outside of the United States without the SEC watching over you and prohibiting what you invest in. Many banks around the world won't open accounts for US citizens and almost every investment fund outside the US won't accept US investors for fear of running afoul of draconian US investor protection laws (which is getting worse).
4. Finally, it is better not to depend on a single government. I'd rather have the protection of two governments wherever I go.

My wife is also looking into what needs to be done so I can get an Italian passport also. I didn't know this, but it looks like some European countries will grant citizenship through marriage, so those of us who are married to Argentines who have European citizenship can also do the paperwork necessary to apply for European Union citizenship after being married for a certain number of years.

One downside is if you ever have a problem with the Argentine authorities, you would not be able to call upon the US Embassy for assistance.

solerboy said:
One downside is if you ever have a problem with the Argentine authorities, you would not be able to call upon the US Embassy for assistance.

How would that be true? He isn't renouncing his US citizenship. Simply adding a second. As a US citizen, he would be entitled to all protections and benfefits thereoff, yes?

GS_Dirtboy said:
How would that be true? He isn't renouncing his US citizenship. Simply adding a second. As a US citizen, he would be entitled to all protections and benfefits thereoff, yes?

Argentine authorities would likely not allow the U.S. to offer consular assistance to an Argentine citizen.

On the other hand, if a dual U.S.-Argentina citizen entered the country on her/his U.S. passport, this could be debated. As far as I know, this is allowed in Argentina. In many other countries, it is not.

GS_Dirtboy said:

Under diplomatic protocol the US Embassy would be powerless to intervene in a situation where the Argentine authorities were pursuing a case against an Argentine Citizen, regardless of dual nationality.

Of couse I am aware that the US authorities love to interfere in the internal affairs of other countries, but its simply not allowed.

solerboy said:
Under diplomatic protocol the US Embassy would be powerless to intervene in a situation where the Argentine authorities were pursuing a case against an Argentine Citizen, regardless of dual nationality.

Of couse I am aware that the US authorities love to interfere in the internal affairs of other countries, but its simply not allowed.

Get into some serious trouble and find out exactly how much assistance from your consulate is worth. A consular access visit to check you're alive, a list of lawyers and maybe a phone call to your mum to tell her you're in jail. In general, there is absolutely nothing they do that could come anything close to "intervention" in 99.999999% of cases.

In most instances, any state you are a citizen of will attempt to provide consular assistance even if you a dual national of the country you're in. The host country just isn't obligated to do so under any international law, but usually permits it.

From the U.S. Department of State Foreign Affairs Manual:

"The most complex problems regarding provision of protective services to
dual nationals arise when the holder of dual nationality experiences
difficulties with the law in his/her other (non-U.S.) country of nationality.
While consular officers do not usually have a right to consular access to a
dual national present in one of his or her countries of nationality,
attempts should still be made to seek consular access on a courtesy basis
from the host government."

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86604.pdf

ndcj said:
Get into some serious trouble and find out exactly how much assistance from your consulate is worth. A consular access visit to check you're alive, a list of lawyers and maybe a phone call to your mum to tell her you're in jail. In general, there is absolutely nothing they do that could come anything close to "intervention" in 99.999999% of cases.

In most instances, any state you are a citizen of will attempt to provide consular assistance even if you a dual national of the country you're in. The host country just isn't obligated to do so under any international law, but usually permits it.

Article 4

A State may not afford diplomatic protection to one of its nationals against a State whose nationality such person also possesses.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/22249788/HAGUE-Convention-1930-Nationality-Laws

Back