Considering A Move To Bsas

nrgb

Registered
Hey Everyone,

My name is Bharat and my employers have offered me the opportunity to work in Buenos Aires. I would be on assignment for at least 3yrs. I am trying to determine if BsAs is viable opportunity for both wife and myself.

We're in our late 40s and of indian/hindu heritage but we've lived in London, England, all our lives.

I would like to know more about Buenos Aires in terms of:
- Safety, Security and Crime
- Transportation on trains and buses
- Where to live? How much does it cost?
- what's the social life like in BA?
- I only speak English, would this initially be a big problem?
- any comparisons between London and BsAs?
- any viewpoints about racism towards indians

Also some questions for you:
- What is your background?
- What job are you in?
- what do you like and dislike about BA?
- Any other information which you feel is relevant.

These are just the initial questions I can think of.

Once again, thank you very much for any information you can provide.

My best wishes,

Bharat aka Bazza

Good morning Bazza,

If you click on the sprocket next to the magnifying glass near the upper right corner of this page you will be dirrected to the advance search.

Enter the word move in the find words box. Search only in titles and display the results as topics.

Repeat this process with the word moving.

You can broaden your search using other key words as additional questions come to mind (residency, crime, cost, racism, etc.).

I hope you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.
emo32.gif

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I would like to know more about Buenos Aires in terms of:[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]- Safety, Security and Crime[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Generally not substantially different than any major capital. Some areas are better than others, as anywhere. There is opportunistic crime in areas frequented by foreigners.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]- Transportation on trains and buses[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Very cheap and generally reliable. As a pedestrian you learn to be wary of the buses, as they drive as if they just don't care - and they don't.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]- Where to live? How much does it cost?[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Depends on the arrangement you opt for. There are 2 year contracts and temporary rentals. The former are much cheaper, unfurnished and normally require a garantia provided by a third party. This third party is normally expected to own property in the capital (as Buenos Aires can refer to either the capital city or to the huge province surrounding it, the city is normally referred to as capital). Temporary rentals are usually much more expensive, and are normally furnished.[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]F[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]or a 2-year contract, r[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]ent in relatively central areas normally costs at least 100 pesos (just over £5) [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]per square [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]metre for a standard quality apartment. Depending on various variables it can be far more. If you move out to less foreign/upscale neighborhoods it might be a bit cheaper. The rent does not normally include utilities (electricity, water, telephone), maintenance (or expensas as they're called here) or property tax (ABL).[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]- what's the social life like in BA?[/background]
I'll defer to bigger experts.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]- I only speak English, would this initially be a big problem?[/background]
Depending on who you want to hang out with, it might. English is much less spoken here than, say, Paris.
In Paris, the taxi driver pretends not to understand you: here, he actually doesn't.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]- any comparisons between London and BsAs?[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Whoa. Too broad for me to attempt answering.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]- any viewpoints about racism towards indians[/background]
Argentina is much less PC than most Western countries. Little jokes or names are the norm here. 'Che gordo', or 'hey fatso' (which may or may not mean that the person in question is actually fat). Negro (black), etc. Same for sexism and just about any kind of foreigner discrimination. A lot of this stuff is often meant as a form of endearment.
Then again, incidents like this are definitely not the norm.
At least nobody will bother with hating you for being British. There is still a great deal of animosity toward Britain over the Falklands.

Only one consideration....
Depending on your workplace location and your children's? school will determine your housing location.... Commuting can kill you.
Send your wife tor exploratory trip...!
Racism towards Indians ??? Never met and Indian family yet.
Good luck in database research

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Just quickly, B, I am British, lived here for the past 3 months. I have lived in London most of my life (Pimlico).[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I am having a year of change here and very much enjoying it. [/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Everyone stresses the security etc here - I have been lucky[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]and nothing untoward yet?) has happened (but others I know have been pickpocketed,[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]had phone stolen, etc ... but that happens just the same as in London)[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Public transport is terrific. Traffic terrible. It is very affordable compared to [/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]London![/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Recoleta, Palermo or Belgrano to live - rents here are, I would estimate, about half what[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]they are in London.[/background]

Social life is fantastic if you make a bit of an effort.

Most speak English but you will enjoy it more if you speak Spanish - start DuoLingo now!

BA is similar in many ways to London - tons to do, huge, a mix of beauty and hideousness.

BTW, I have also lived in India (Kolkata) and there are many many similarities ... the warmth
of the people, the importance of family, etc.

Good luck! Ask if you need more.

ngrb:
Hello,I would suggest that you access the Tata Consultancy Services in Argentina webpage.
As I am sure you are well aware TATA is an Indian multinational.Some years ago I used to give Business Englsh Group classes and workshops to their Argentine employees.I met some Indian managers at that time and.I believe their webpage can give you some of the info you are looking for.

Back