Constant Internet

TruchoTango

Registered
Hola Gang,

So I moved into a new apartment building. The internet reliability is pretty bad. First week was great and then last 10 days have been extremely erratic. It keeps going out and was out most of the day last Wednesday. Given my work, I can't have this.

My current provider is Fibertel.

A while back, a guy told me that for constant internet in BA, you need two connections: One broadband connection and one DSL or ADSL. And obviously, they must be from two different providers. One through cable and one through phone. Then when one goes out, you just switch between them.

Made sense to me. An argentine friend and I went online yesterday and we could not find Speedy ADSL. I looked all through this forum and could not find this question.

I need constant internet access. How do I achieve this?

Thanks.

Having two conections will help. Lots of people do this. You couldn't find speedy online? Did you try google? How about www.speedy.com.ar

Have you called Fibertel?
Not wishing to sound like a smarty pants, but in nearly ten years of using Fibertel, they've never let us down in numerous houses and businesses that we run.
I recently lost connection and they were around the next day and repaired a bad connection/junction box in the building and the blokes carrying out the work couldn't have been more helpful.
I have no experience of Speedy from Telefonica but I've heard some horror stories about them. We had Arnet once and they were diabolical.
I feel confident in saying that Fibertel will sort out your problem, unless it has to do with kit that you installed.
Sometimes the cable modem will report back to Fibertel that it is in fact working when it isn't. I've had that before and several calls later resulted in a replacement modem.

I've used Speedy DSL from Telefonica for several years, and it's reliable. I had problems last year and tried everything suggested on a website to no avail. I finally called Speedy about the problem, and they remedied the connection in a few minutes through my phone line.

1. Call Fibertel for technical service online.
2. Ask your neighbors what service they use.
3. Change providers if the problem continues.

This often seems to have a whole lot to do with how is the infrastructure within some blocks of where you live.

I have two connections, coincidentally, one Fibertel and the other Speedy. I have had Fibertel in town everywhere I've lived and have had various experiences, but mostly good.

Currently with Fibertel, I'm at about 99% uptime over the last year, rarely does it go down, and only for a small period of time when it does. My work is almost completely either on the internet or using it often for searches and such, so I always know when it's up or down.

On the other hand, my Speedy is horrible - it's rarely up in fact. The only reason I have Speedy is because the owners had that along with their landline phone service and I decided to keep it "just in case". In fact, since I had two connections, I told the girls to hook their phones up to Speedy for WIFI so they didn't impact my Fibertel connection. Unfortunately, they can rarely connect.

A good buddy of mine has had both (though not at the same time). He lives about 10 blocks from me. His Fibertel was horrible, so he changed it for Speedy and has had good results.

Comparing with other friends and acquaintances over the past couple of years, I've seen the same sort of thing played out. It seems to depend mostly on your zone as to which company is better.

I used to have Arnet and Fibertel. What are the.odds that both would go down at the same time?

Back