Consumer protection

Gringoboy

Registered
Oh well. I never really have felt very protected here as a consumer anyways. But yes, it is turning into Cuba. Cuba does have the beach and nice Caribbean climate. Hmm, food for thought..........

Consumer protection has never been strong in Argentina. It's been horribly weak. So something like this doesn't surprise me but honestly it's always been horrible in Argentina.

Afraid of class action dollar lawsuits. Rule by Decree. The World has gone mad. I picked a heck of time to quit sniffing glue. :mad:

Consumer protection is non-existant here. Example: Bought a Whirlpool refrigerator, new, from Carrefour, arrived broken from the store, the freezer part froze and the refrigerator froze as well. Was under warranty of course and was fixed within 2 weeks, however multiple attempts at getting service to come was very difficult, was treated poorly, hung up on, waited for repairman several times, never showed up, no phone call, etc. 6 months later, refrigerator part didn't cool anymore, called, still under warranty, sent repairman, was told a fuse had burnt out, but that of course is not covered by warranty and would cost $400 pesos to fix, so we paid it as we had no choice but I protested and started badmouthing them on the Whirlpool facebook page, low and behold an e-mail from Whirlpool, to please remove my negative comments about them I refused. I then get another e-mail asking me to contact their customer service center. I am told they will consider a refund if I agree to remove the comments. I said if they send me a carta documento that I will get a refund I will. So I get the carta documento and a week later a messenger comes with an envelope with $400 pesos and I left the negative comments up anyway for a while. That is how customer service works here, by "escrache".

I understand your frustration there David, but customer service and consumer protection are two very different matters.
The customer service you received was through the floor and hopeless. No excuses.
On the other hand, consumer protection organisations are strong, influential bodies here and quite rightly so. I have numerous friends who have had to use their powers against faceless corporations/institutions with success.
This is why this Moreno move is very disturbing.
How much more power and liberty does this regime wish to take away from citizens?

"I picked a heck of time to quit sniffing glue"

HAHAHA! I say exactly that all the time!!!!

Gringoboy said:
Just when I thought things couldn't get more Cuba-esque, public enemy number one aka Moreno, has decided he can arbitrarily shut down (correct me if I got that wrong please) consumer protection associations that he feels threatened by.
I find this very sinister indeed.
No mention yet of this in BA Herald, but it is here:
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1481976-moreno-podra-dar-de-baja-a-asociaciones-de-consumidores

I doubt BA Herald will cover it unless its under an opinion piece.

Back