Continental Airlines Pet Ransom

cujodu

Registered
Although I paid only $100USD to bring my dog to Argentina last year, Continental Airlines is now telling me that to taker her BACK to the US I have to pay $800USD. Has anyone ever heard of/experienced anything like this? It's basically a ransom because I need to take her as I'm not sure I'm going to return to Argentina after my trip. Suggestions? I may just cancel and take her on United because I can carry her on in the cabin, problem is I have to frequent flier miles on Continental so the trip is basically free.

Wow! I recently flew here with my cat as a carry-on with Delta. The fee was $150 each way, from the US to Argentina. I'm sure the cost could go up with Delta in the future, but hopefully not that drastically! Maybe call and get a second opinion, or ask to speak with a manager. $800 just doesn't sound right.

How much is that doggie in the cabin?

How much is your pet worth to you?

(sung to the familiar tune)

It looks like the number crunchers at Continental have learned something from the "vets" at Argentine customs.

steveinbsas said:
How much is that doggie in the cabin?
How much is your pet worth to you?
(sung to the familiar tune
It looks like the number crunchers at Continental have learned something from the "vets" at Argentine customs.

Well, I'd pay anything to take her back, especially if I'm not coming back to Argentina. Of course if she was dognapped I'd pay the same. I'm opening a discussion to get the info out to people who might consider travelling with pets on Continental (or any) Airlines. And to find out if anyone has any other information per other airlines or similar stories.

Customs Vet here charged me $100 ARG because I arrived at 4:00 am and he had to make a special trip. Not unreasonable. $800 USD=unreasonable.

3 months ago I paid around $150 for my cat in cargo, priced according to excess baggage rates. This was from Bangkok to Buenos Aires - much farther than to the US. I suggest trying to talk to a manager - that seems ridiculous to pay $800.

I paid the EZE airport vet $100USD to "allow" my dearest darling Stella to enter Argentina with me sans the "correct" papers.

Fortunately, we have no plans of leaving.

If you can present your dog as a search and rescue/service dog, they can fly on the plane at your feet, without a charge.

Steve, shame on you to tip the airport vet, some people on the board would not be pleased to read that.

soulskier said:
If you can present your dog as a search and rescue/service dog, they can fly on the plane at your feet, without a charge.

Steve, shame on you to tip the airport vet, some people on the board would not be pleased to read that.

Thanks, Soulskier.

I appreciate your facetiousness.

If I hadn't "tipped" the airport vet, I would have had one alternative: leave the country...or enter without my beloved puppy. The dork didn't know I would have paid ten times that amount.

As I said before, we are here and we are here to stay.

If you really meant to shame me, I suggest you read a couple hundred of of my posts and get back to me.

But perhaps you really were being facetious...

I'm talking about flying OUT of Buenos Aires, not into, the rates are different! Incredulously different, at least on Continental Airlines.

Back