Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
I'm just as bad at predicting anything as the next person. Just thought it was interesting to see how the collective thought process played out now that we know everything that we do.

In hindsight, the specific cases in Argentina probably did not start with a traveller or immigrant from China. However, at the time of the post when travel between Argentina and China was still open, I don't see how pondering whether a connection between the geographic origin of the virus where cases were still quite active at the time, and those who are traveling from that region and potentially propagating its spread is kinda racist. Curious how you see it otherwise? Maybe I'm missing something.

One of the reasons that Northern Italy was hit so hard was because of it's commercial ties to Wuhan. So there was a region where this possibility that the original poster brought up did in fact come true.

I don't think any reasonable person would blame the common person of Chinese nationality for the virus. They are victims of this tragedy just as much as anyone else.
Chinese who come back, they have the vaccine already.

Looking back on a few of the pages of the 82...there are so many horrible predictions and bad takes on this thread. BAExpats (myself included) should stop predicting anything - the dollar, viruses, political outcomes.

My honest thought in early February was that the virus wouldn't be news in a few weeks, just based on previous cases like SARS and Bird Flu, etc. But I didn't post that, instead, I posted this:

The great thing about this thread is that we will be able to come back in a year and see what actually happened!

We don’t have people from Wuhan. They are from Fujian.
The problem here were argentines comming back from Italy.

I know, you pointed that out at the time, which was a useful contribution for the forum so we could better understand the immigration dynamics between Argentina and China.

My point was that so many forum members were quick just to scream racism instead of taking the virus seriously. That the original poster was pondering whether an immigration link between China and Argentina would spell trouble for Argentina seemed like a reasonable question, especially for someone that wasn't as knowledgable as you about the specific geographical flow of Chinese immigrants to Argentina.

The main problem turned out to be Italy and Spain for South America.

We don’t have people from Wuhan. They are from Fujian.
The problem here were argentines comming back from Italy.

I do like blaming the Italian influence on the poor diet here but I wouldn't blame them for bringing the virus.

I know, you pointed that out at the time, which was a useful contribution for the forum so we could better understand the immigration dynamics between Argentina and China.

My point was that so many forum members were quick just to scream racism instead of taking the virus seriously. That the original poster was pondering whether an immigration link between China and Argentina would spell trouble for Argentina seemed like a reasonable question, especially for someone that wasn't as knowledgable as you about the specific geographical flow of Chinese immigrants to Argentina.

The main problem turned out to be Italy and Spain for South America.

Personally I've been shocked by the callous racism towards the virus itself. I mean it's a living thing after all and trying to make its way in this harsh, cruel world. Yet we're so quick to stamp it out of existence. I've lost a lot of faith in mankind.

I do like blaming the Italian influence on the poor diet here but I wouldn't blame them for bringing the virus.
Italian food is great, that does not mean Italians are eating well. Their food spectrum is pretty narrow and Argentines are worse.
You can find good Italian restaurants all over Europe, which are run by Italians. But many Italians DAILY diet sucks, cold pizza on
the go, pasta with tomato sauce only.

Back