Cost of English / Spanish translation service?

NickF

Registered
I'm looking to have a company web-site translated from English to Spanish. Does anyone have an idea or guestimate of how much translation services charge? Thanks!

It depends on how much content you need translated on your site. I will say that the certified translators here in Argentina charge a pretty penny for their services. I paid 800 pesos for a translator that I was forced to hire for our 15 minute wedding ceremony. And that was 800 pesos with the friends and family discount.

If it were me I would try to find a friend or someone who knows both languages instead of hiring a professional translator.

You might want neutral Spanish instead of Argentine Spanish if it's a global market.

I would argue that compared to what professional translation costs elsewhere, they are quite affordable here. Normally priced per word. As with many things, such as web development, there's a massive difference in what professional services cost and what laypeople think they should cost ;-) (and no, I don't do either for a living)

If it is basic content and you're looking for a deal, then I would recommend checking out something like odesk and translators living places far less expensive than here.

About 20 cents per word. And hire a professional, not a friend. It looks really different.

I have to plug the company I've done some freelance work for here. They provide content writing, translation, proofreading and editing services. I find them exceptionally professional and very pleasant to work for.

Their website: http://www.lesnavigauteurs.fr/

It's a French company with an office in Buenos Aires.

Good luck

Julie

Hi, Nick.
I am a native professional translator from Buenos Aires with a vast experience in the translation of professional websites and all kinds of texts. Contact me if you want and we can talk about what you need. My email is [email protected]
You can also view my profile here: www.proz.com/pro/117725
I look forward to hearing from you.
Best.

Joaquin

thanks all for the advice. I really appreciate it. - Nick

Eclair said:
If it were me I would try to find a friend or someone who knows both languages instead of hiring a professional translator.

You might want neutral Spanish instead of Argentine Spanish if it's a global market.

Before you go down that route, you ought to take a look at some of the local businesses that offer an 'English version' to their website that's been done by family, a friend or someone who owes them a favour. Some of them are hilarious! If you don't use someone who has professional translating skills then you are laying yourself open to ridicule by your potential clients in just the same way.

Back