Cost Of Live-In Nanny?

Tilda

Registered
We are evaluating the possibility of inviting a live-in English speaking nanny to us in Villa la Angostura, but we are clueless as to how much one would pay.

Obviously accommodation and food would be paid for and a small salary. But, how much is reasonable for a 40 hours a week position?

Unfortunately I don't think that a wonderful landscape, nice kids and the opportunity to go for long hikes during the weekend would be enough.

If anyone would be gracious enough to enlighten me I would be very grateful.

This link contains the minimum salaries for domestic workers. In Argentina "con retiro" is live out and "sin retiro" is live in.
http://www.infoleg.g...20063/norma.htm
By September, these rates will increase between 25-40%. And on top of their salary (which for what you are looking for is about $4000 per month by law) figure 55% more in social security tax, overtime at 100% of their hourly rate, aguinaldo (13th salary), plus paid vacation, unlimited sick time and if you have to fire them, you will have to pay them indeminzation and surely you will get sued and have to pay additional indemnization plus your and your ex-employees lawyers fees and court / mediation costs. Good luck.

Native English speaking nanny, or? I think that will change the pricing quite a bit for you. My friend with no credential teaches English in capital federal and earns just shy of 10,000 a month, super easy work compared to nannying, it's just college students.

Will you be just giving them a room in your house? Or do you have a guest house on your property etc? A little more info would be helpful to go by.

I don't think that
Native English speaking nanny, or? I think that will change the pricing quite a bit for you.

I don't think that it will change the pricing that much.

I think that
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Wonderful landscape, nice kids and the opportunity to go for long hikes during the weekend would be enough[/background]

could attract quite a few excellent young nannies who would be willing to work just for room and board. Obviously this would limit the OP to short term candidates (6-12 mo) rather than a long term, entire childhood nanny.

I'd check out some of the international Au Pair sites, I bet there are qualified candidates who would love to head to what, in my opinion, is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

But it would be tough to find someone who can work full time as nanny and not be a student or have a social life of her own. The nanny would have to make some sacrifices and the OP would have to be open minded in hours of work for the nanny.

I've always loved the saying, " you get what you pay for" And let's face it, she's probably not looking for a whatever student wanting to live in the mountains for ski season, it's her kids we are talking about. I've lived over there before and it's beautiful, but not so much that someone would go there for no pay, it's expensive to have fun at night there.

My friend with no credential teaches English in capital federal and earns just shy of 10,000 a month,

I did not realize expat English teachers are now earning 10000 pesos in the Capital!! wow!

Some of my other friends in mid or late 20's after studying in college here for 4-5 years are still earning less than 6000 pesos a month! Lucky expats! phew!!

But it would be tough to find someone who can work full time as nanny and not be a student or have a social life of her own. The nanny would have to make some sacrifices and the OP would have to be open minded in hours of work for the nanny.

Let me paint you a picture:

It is picturesque late spring day. Not a cloud to be seen and the crowd of people in funny clothes are frolicking about, gaily partaking in bizarre ritual traditions. There are butterflies flittering between the flowers while song birds twiddle their approval. Yet there is a blemish on this snapshot of neo beltane revelry. Because there, in the corner of the image, seated at a table which has been long since abandoned by their more lively cohorts, a couple is crying. The couple begs and pleads with remaining member of the trio yet this one seems resolute.

"Please Naive Nancy!" the couple insists, "Think of everything you have ahead of you. Don't throw it all alway now! "

"Oh please yourselves, Boring Boomers, I know you're worried about me and my future and you are doing what you think is best for me,
"but why can't you recognize that Alluring Argentine IS what is right for me? Please?"

"But you just met him! He only did a one semester exchange! How could you possibly..-

"How could I possibly what? BB Mom. Just because you no longer have the spark which drives a man to reach out of his comfort zone and expose himself for that which he truly is, does not mean that I can continue to repress the one which resides in me"

At this point BB Dad tries to insert a little logic into NN's projections, "What do you plan to do for resources? Do you have any marketable skills?"

Of course, such a minor detail had already been considered by NN who declared, "Why, Alluring Argentine has told me that I won't have any trouble finding work and that in the mean time we can stay with his dear Madre Mimadera"

Eventually the BBs and NN head out to join the festivities where a few bootlegged PBRs takes the edge off an awkward encounter with AA.

Months go by...

Alluring Argentine has lost a but of his allure. Naive Nancy isn't sure where it came off but thinks it might have been when MM scrubbed just a bit too hard while showing her how cleaned the skid marks out of AA's tightie whities; or maybe it just got lost when AA was rummaging through drawers trying to find where MM had left the pack of Tulipan Control that she picked up at farmacity.

Regardless of how that allure left, NN realizes she's in a bit of a situation. She can't really speak the language, she can't legally work and while she had long dreamed of dancing tango through the Paris of South America, she's become resigned to jigging around potholes in AA's podunk pueblo. She needs to get out, she needs to do SOMETHING, she can't let the BBs be right!

Bam! That is when she finds it, a brief post on an anonymous message board, "Trade the child rearing aspects of your international relationship for the opportunity to actually help raise two well behaved expat kids, trade room and board with la suegra for a guesthouse in the Andes, trade 'la vieja me dejaba 100 pa'l almuerzo asi rompemos todo' for a modest weekly stipend."

Naive Nancy can't help it, she falls back in love. She tells Alluring Argentine that she's off to see Alluring Argentina and if he learns how to iron his shirts, he's more than welcome to come along for a visit.

With a skip in her step NN hops off the plane Bariloche where she is met by her new host, Exploitive Expat.

To be continued...

PhilipDT, half a lifetime ago I was NN, but without AA, just me wanting to see the world. I am very reluctant to take on a nanny / aupair just for that reason. The last thing I want to be is the Exploitive Expat. I did enjoy your narrative though and now I find myself worrying about NN and I just want to shake some reason into her/him.

Even though it's done here, you can't hire someone here (legally) in exchange for room & board. It's against the labor laws and you can very easily end up getting sued which will cost you a lot (in pesos). You must pay them at least the minimum salary plus social security taxes.

Back