Cost of living Buenos Aires - FYI

jamila

Registered
This website listed Buenos Airesas very low compared to other cities around the world it was ranked 508 overall out of 780 places (rank 1 is most expensive: rank 780 is least expensive).

http://www.xpatulator.com/cost-of-living-review/Argentina-Buenos-Aires_7.cfm

it breaks it down into "13 Basket Groups"

Alcohol & Tobacco costs are very high compared to other places for items such as alcohol at a bar, beer, locally produced spirit, whiskey, wine (where alcohol is legally sold) and tobacco related products. There are 96 places that are more expensive, and 683 places that are less expensive for alcohol and or tobacco.

Clothing costs are low compared to other places for items such as business suits, casual clothing, children's clothing, coats, evening wear, footwear, hats, shoe repairs and underwear. There are 549 places that are more expensive, and 230 places that are less expensive for clothing.

Communication costs are average compared to other places for various communication costs such as call charges, home telephone rental, internet connection, mobile data costs, mobile phone contract and service provider fees. There are 389 places that are more expensive, and 390 places that are less expensive for communication.

Education costs are very low compared to other places for items such as creche / pre-school fees, primary school fees, high school fees and tertiary study fees. There are 704 places that are more expensive, and 75 places that are less expensive for education.

Furniture & Appliance costs are average compared to other places for items such as DVD player, fridge freezer, furniture, household equipment, iron, kettle, light bulbs, microwave, television, toaster, vacuum cleaner and washing machine. There are 384 places that are more expensive, and 395 places that are less expensive for furniture and appliances.

Grocery costs are very low compared to other places for items such as baby consumables, baked goods, baking, canned foods, cheese, cleaning materials, cleaning products, dairy, fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, fruit juices, meat, oil & vinegars, pet food, pre-prepared meals, sauces, seafood, snacks, soft drinks, spices & herbs. There are 732 places that are more expensive, and 47 places that are less expensive for groceries.

Healthcare costs are very low compared to other places for general healthcare, general practitioner consultation rates, healthcare/medical insurance, hospital private ward daily rate and non-prescription medicine. There are 653 places that are more expensive, and 126 places that are less expensive for healthcare.

Household Accommodation costs are high compared to other places for items such as accommodation, apartment, flat, house, villa, rent, electricity, household fuels, household gas, water, and local property rates / residential taxes / levies. There are 222 places that are more expensive, and 557 places that are less expensive for household accommodation.

Miscellaneous costs are very low compared to other places for items such as dry cleaning, general goods, general services, linen, magazines, maid, newspapers, office supplies, postage stamps and stationery. There are 707 places that are more expensive, and 72 places that are less expensive for miscellaneous items.

Personal Care costs are very low compared to other places for items such as cosmetics, hair care, moisturizer, nappies, pain relief tablets, shampoo, soap, sun block, toilet paper and toothpaste. There are 662 places that are more expensive, and 117 places that are less expensive for personal care.

Recreation and Culture costs are high compared to other places for items such as books, camera, cinema tickets, fitness/health club membership, sports goods and theatre tickets. There are 292 places that are more expensive, and 487 places that are less expensive for recreation and culture.

Restaurants, Meals Out and Hotel costs are low compared to other places for items such as a business dinner, dinner at a family restaurant (non fast food), 4 star and 5 star hotel rates and take away meal (fast food). There are 579 places that are more expensive, and 200 places that are less expensive for restaurants, meals out and hotels.

Transport costs are low compared to other places for items such as car hire purchase, car insurance, car lease, car maintenance, car rental, car service, diesel, petrol, tyres and public transport. There are 610 places that are more expensive, and 169 places that are less expensive for transport.

Personalized cost of living indexes for Buenos Aires in Argentina are based on the basket groups and comparison location(s) selected in the Calculators.

In terms of the hardship people are likely to experience, assessed in global terms, Buenos Aires in Argentina is ranked as some hardship with a hardship index of 20%.

Personalized hardship index premiums for Buenos Aires in Argentina are based on the comparison location(s) selected in the Calculators.

Although I dont know if this takes into account inflation, I think the biggest thing to consider is the wage vs cost of living. Argentina is still relatively cheap for a lot of things but if you are earning 3k a month pesos.......it is a freaking expensive place to live!

Cordobese said:
Although I dont know if this takes into account inflation, I think the biggest thing to consider is the wage vs cost of living. Argentina is still relatively cheap for a lot of things but if you are earning 3k a month pesos.......it is a freaking expensive place to live!

But 3 k is hardly the minimun and is not common to get 3 k per month at least not for Argentinians, well personally i don't know any argentinian that earn now a days 3 k here, almost all my local friends (group age 24 to 32) are earning between 6,8 k the one that earn less and from them goes up to 26 k the one that earn more, well to clarify the one that earn 26 k is enginier and is not working in Buenos Aires he work in Patagonia so diferent cost and salary than living in capital i supose. Anyway if you earn the minimun yes i supose can be dificult but with a local rent is doable at least for now

Back