Cost of Living Estimates

jmartin

Registered
Hi everyone. I'm moving to Bs As in June and would greatly appreciate any estimates on cost of living. I'm hoping to find an apartment share and have budgeted up to $600 usd a month for that. I also have international health insurance coverage, so that's not an issue. Aside from rent and health insurance, can anyone provide any guidance on how much I can anticipate needing each month. I don't cook very much and will probably eat out one meal a day, although nothing expensive (basic cafe); want to join a gym; and will need a cellphone. Will probably go out for drinks two to three times per week, and will see the occassional theater performance, opera, concert. An additional $1,000 usd per month enough (excluding rent and insurance)? $1200 usd? $1500usd? I keep reading about the inflation, so am uncertain what I need to budget. Thanks!!

I guess that depends on how much you drink,do you eat exotic foods,etc etc,everyone is different and has different ideas so,although you,ll get feedback from this forum,at the end of the day it,s down to you

Hey there JMartin! You're really going to enjoy your adventure down here and it's a great place to be!! But in terms of budgeting, I'd continue to budget as if you were living in the US. There's a preconceived notion that BA is a cheap city to live in, but this is not the case. The only things that are cheap are steak, taxis, and wine. Everything else is extremely expensive.

Phones are priced the same as in the states (you'd have to get a prepaid card). Anything electronicswise will be double the cost of that in the States, so be sure to bring your favorite electric razor, ipod, all that...I think after all is said and done, if you pay $600 on rent, you could get buy on $1600-$1800 a month, but it depends on how you live.

Be sure to look for posts on drink get togethers when you get down here. BAExpats is a great community to make friends and share stories...SUERTE!

The gov't suggests you need U$2000 per month. That's what they say you need to get a "rentista" visa. As everyone says, it depends on your lifestyle. There are plenty of people who live on less than that.

Cocktails in Palermo are running A$30 and more. Beer, not sure, A$18/20? I don't eat out so much anymore, but when I do we spend about A$60-100 per person. I think midday menus are running A$40.

You'll spend the most in the first months. Then you'll be able to work out how to save money. Just like anywhere really.

Back