cost of living in surrounding cities of BA

CA2BA

Registered
What is the cost of living? I have money saved up but I want to see how long I can stay in Argentina before I need to head back to the states. I am guessing if I stay just outside the city the cost would be lower. Also, safety is a concern since I am a female.

You can live for less in another city - Mar del Plata, for example (at least off season). The Province of BA is not very safe so I wouldn't considering living in a far suburb.

CA2BA said:
just outside the city the cost would be lower.

The 'safest' zone would be the Northern Zone, but the most desirable neighbourhoods are just as expensive as in town, and the price of groceries etc will not go down.

You'd have to go pretty far out of the city to notice a difference, and then you probably wouldn't find yourself coming back into town that often. And a lot of the barrios where you would get a low price, you'd want a car and you definitely wouldn't want to have to go out on the street at night to pick up some milk or something you forgot for dinner etc.

A lot of zones outside of the city are just single-family houses, so harder to find an apartment to rent. Renting an apartment in Vicente Lopez, Olivos, Acassuso, La Lucila, Martinez, San Isidro etc is possible, but for a short-term rental I don't think that you're going to find a difference in price (long-term rentals do get a bit of a break).

The other side of the Panamericana is cheaper but also less desirable, and really not interesting for a tourist, especially one on their own -- Carapachay, Munroe, Villa Adelina, etc. -- one good thing about living in those areas I guess is that you'll never encounter foreigners, but you'll also be really stuck in the burbs without a car, and you wouldn't want to have to wait for a bus on your own at night etc.

If you're willing to go to another city entirely, then Cordoba or Rosario are cheaper than Capital.

CA2BA said:
What is the cost of living? I have money saved up but I want to see how long I can stay in Argentina before I need to head back to the states. I am guessing if I stay just outside the city the cost would be lower. Also, safety is a concern since I am a female.

If you search "cost of living" you will find many threads with a lot of relevant information. I think it would be most unwise to try to live out of the city, and you won't find many short term furnished apartments in the "cheaper" areas like Avellaneda or Lanus (just to the south of Capital Federal). The "long term" (two year lease) apartments are almost always unfurnished (no fridge or light fixtures) and it isn't legal for you to sign a lease for more than six months in the first place. The two year leases usually require a guarantee which is virtually impossible for someone here on a tourist visa to obtain.

Also read: Avoid Becoming a Victim of Crime and Just be careful

Even within Capital Federal you need to be very careful where you rent. Palermo and Recoleta are "considered" the "safest" but there is no guarantee of safety anywhere. Purse and cell phone snatchers abound and there are pickpockets on the subway. I know a seasoned expat who was recently robbed in a very nice section of Palermo (Las Canitas), and late last year there was a rapist on the prowl in Recoleta.

I'd stay in the city, but pick a quieter barrio. You can get some great deals in caballito, belgrano, villa crespo, collegiales - outside the "fashionable" barrios prices get a lot cheaper, but you still have good transport links, its safe and you're still in the city.

Another neighborhood that is somewhat less expensive but within Capital is Villa Urquiza which is the last stop on the 'B' line subte. It's a nice traditional neighborhood and for the most part safe by Buenos Aires standards. There are tons of new apartment buildings so there may be someone looking to rent a room or share an apartment. Best of luck

Thanks you all are great. I will look into these.

Does anyone know anything about tucuman? I might have a temporary job opportunity there. I know it is in the north but maybe you great people have some insight.

jp said:
I'd stay in the city, but pick a quieter barrio. You can get some great deals in caballito, belgrano, villa crespo, collegiales - outside the "fashionable" barrios prices get a lot cheaper, but you still have good transport links, its safe and you're still in the city.

I totally agree, you can live in not the recommended barrios of Palermo or Recoleta and be safe those barrios there are other ones close to the center which can be had. . Just fit in , look around you don't wear a American flag like shorts, white socks and flowered shirt (not tourist written on your forehead)... , I walk the city they think I am argentine as long as I don't open my mouth, I speak spanish but they know I am not Argentine.

Don't show off heavy jewely, wear jeans , golf shirt during the day, at night dress up and take radio taxis to and from.. simple.

MIchael795 said:
I totally agree, you can live in not the recommended barrios of Palermo or Recoleta and be safe. Just fit in , look around you don't wear a American flag like shorts, white socks and flowered shirt (not tourist written on your forehead)... , I walk the city they think I am argentine as long as I don't open my mouth, I speak spanish but they know I am not Argentine.

Don't show off heavy jewely, wear jeans , golf shirt during the day, at night dress up and take radio taxis to and from.. simple.

This will be hard for me since I am not a white american or latino. lol. I am sure it will be an interesting experience.

Davidglen77 said:
Another neighborhood that is somewhat less expensive but within Capital is Villa Urquiza which is the last stop on the 'B' line subte. It's a nice traditional neighborhood and for the most part safe by Buenos Aires standards. There are tons of new apartment buildings so there may be someone looking to rent a room or share an apartment. Best of luck

Villa Urquiza is like living in Queens in New York City compared to Manhattan. I have seen some of the barrios' area and would find it hard for a tourist (not speaking spanish) to stay there since they would have to travel for resturants which they would like ... from Palermo to parts of Villa Urquiza the taxi can cost 25-35 pesos or more, not bad but round trip and regularily one cut on the savings by living there. Many streets are dark and one story buildings . Yes there are new apartments going up but it will be sometime before it becomes nice enough.

Back