Cost of Living / Salary Parity for BsAs?

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
Hi everyone! Does anyone have a good source for Cost of Living and Salary Parity data on BsAs?

I've done my own comparison to San Diego and it looks like we are about $1US to $1.5ARS in housing - eg the same apartment in the same area would cost $2000US in SD and $3000ARS in BsAs. The food, clothes, and other goods are higher here than in San Diego.

There are a couple of sites like www.expatistan.com and www.numbeo.com but their data looks suspicious.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gracias!

Very cool. Thanks! What have you seen on the forcast for ARS? Will the rate move or remain fairy steady?

GS_Dirtboy said:
Very cool. Thanks! What have you seen on the forcast for ARS? Will the rate move or remain fairy steady?
Well, the little forecasting groundhogs have been working on the question and it seems like they have an answer. 27.63% inflation for the next year. ****

**** This is not investment advice. You are 100% responsible if you trade on this information. You cannot sue me if this information is not correct.

GS_Dirtboy said:
Hi everyone! Does anyone have a good source for Cost of Living and Salary Parity data on BsAs?

I've done my own comparison to San Diego and it looks like we are about $1US to $1.5ARS in housing - eg the same apartment in the same area would cost $2000US in SD and $3000ARS in BsAs. The food, clothes, and other goods are higher here than in San Diego.

There are a couple of sites like www.expatistan.com and www.numbeo.com but their data looks suspicious.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gracias!

I don't think your date is even close, please check your sources.

I would say on many things, it's closer to 1-1. IE, my lunch that might cost me $10 in the US, costs me 40+ pesos here.

Will your salary be in pesos or dollars?

A good thing to remember when looking at apts is that you will not be able to rent an unfurnished apt at local rates without a guarantia. Even if you have those, you will have to furnish the apt which is at/more the prices you would pay in the US. (When I lived in Cap Fed, I did the math and figured it still worked out better to rent a furnished apt rather than sign a 2 year contract and have to pay to furnish a place).

A safe bet is if you rent a furnished, 1 BR apt in Capital Federal, you will pay roughly 1000 USD a month or the peso equivalent.

garygrunson said:
I don't think your date is even close, please check your sources.

Well ... my sources are me. I have an apartment in San Diego and know the rates there, and I have an apartment here and know what I pay.

What might be different is I have lived here for 6 years, have my DNI so I don't rent like an expat.

I just bought a 5 pound bag of ice for $25 pesos (5 bucks) at the gas station on the corner. How's that for PPP?

citygirl said:
remember when looking at apts is that you will not be able to rent an unfurnished apt at local rates without a guarantia.

I'm confused or misunderstand. Peso rental rates for 2-year leases are shown in estate agents' windows. I thought that everyone needed a guarantia to rent and that the property which served as that guarantee had to be one in Argentina.

Separately, now that new currency controls include one making it mandatory by law for rental contracts to be in pesos and not $US, how can a rental agent charge someone without a DNI yet more than what he advertises, and why would a prospective tenant agree before signing to pay more? That tenant would only have to report that agent to AFIP if the agent or owner demanded a higher rent (or worse, asked him to pay in $US cash), no?

If I'm wrong, please tell me how much more than "local rates" an agent or owner try to get, say as a percentage of the advertised rental rate.

citygirl said:
remember when looking at apts is that you will not be able to rent an unfurnished apt at local rates without a guarantia.

Sockhopper said:
I'm confused or misunderstand. Peso rental rates for 2-year leases are shown in estate agents' windows. I thought that everyone needed a guarantia to rent and that the property which served as that guarantee had to be one in Argentina.
That is true. That's what citygirl pointed out. Even more to the point, the property serving for the garantía will usually be required to be a property in CABA or at least very close by.

Sockhopper said:
Separately, now that new currency controls include one making it mandatory by law for rental contracts to be in pesos and not $US, how can a rental agent charge someone without a DNI yet more than what he advertises, and why would a prospective tenant agree before signing to pay more? That tenant would only have to report that agent to AFIP if the agent or owner demanded a higher rent (or worse, asked him to pay in $US cash), no?
I don't believe there is any such law. There have been various proposals, but none has been approved. Contracts are legal in any currency, although it would be stupid for an owner to insist on payment in physical dollars knowing that they are impossible to obtain here. So a lease could specify a rental amount in USD, to be paid in pesos at the equivalent [official venta] exchange rate. With the emerging blue exchange market, I wouldn't be surprised to see contracts specify payment in pesos at the official rate + X% or, if the blue market becomes official, at that rate.

Sockhopper said:
If I'm wrong, please tell me how much more than "local rates" an agent or owner try to get, say as a percentage of the advertised rental rate.
The issue here is the difference between a temporary lease and a standard 2-year lease. Most inmobiliarias advertise both types of rentals, and occasionally an apartment may be offered either for temporary or standard rental, in which case the temporary rental rate will be higher than the standard rate.

A temporary rental typically covers an apartment with furnishings, for which the landlord pays basic services, taxes, and utilities. Such rentals are intended for tourists.

A standard 2-year lease typically requires a garantia to protect the lessor from failure to pay, squatters, etc. Such leases are usually for unfurnished apartments, and the lessee pays utilities, taxes, and services in addition to the rental fee. (Note that "unfurnished" usually includes some kitchen cabinets and a stove but no refrigerator.)

That's not to say that a tourist without legal residency in Argentina cannot sign a standard 2-year lease. Since few tourists own or have access to property that can be used to back a garantía, it's the rare that a tourist can obtain a garantía. Without the garantía, a landlord may still rent an unfurnished apartment on a 2-year contract, but to compensate for the additional risk of renting without a garantía, the lessor will certainly require either a higher rental amount, prepayment of rent, a very large deposit, or some combination of the three.

Back