Cost Of Ownership

jeff1234

Registered
I'm thinking about buying a car. I won't use it much but I'm inclined to buy a new car to avoid repair and maintenance hassles.
I could use some help calculating the cost of ownership for 3 years, in say USD.
I'm thinking of a Pugeot 308 or Ford Eco Sport.
Thanks

So that's it? "Rent a car".
Thats all the help I get? From you expats that'll write thousands of words about pizza. Or bizarre conspiracies.

Payments ? Parking ? Insurance ? How Much Use ? Depreciation ? Re sale value ?

Really , if you only give vague , insufficient information , you won't get any help......

To many variables to a question only you have the information for.

US$5000.00 per year. Does that answer your question ?

Payments ? Parking ? Insurance ? How Much Use ? Depreciation ? Re sale value ?

Really , if you only give vague , insufficient information , you won't get any help......

To many variables to a question only you have the information for.

US$5000.00 per year. Does that answer your question ?
A good addition to this forum would be a 'Dislike This' button

1) Get money
2) Take money to car store
3) Exchange money for car
4) Drive car
5) Repeat step 4

I'm sorry, you asked about total cost of ownership (TCO).

TCO = cost_of_car + cost_of_gas + cost of insurance (+ cost_of parking) (+ cost_of_traffic_ticket) (+ cost_of_bribes)

Variables in parentheses are optional costs. Insert your values to determine TCO!

I'm thinking about buying a car. I won't use it much but I'm inclined to buy a new car to avoid repair and maintenance hassles.
I could use some help calculating the cost of ownership for 3 years, in say USD.
I'm thinking of a Pugeot 308 or Ford Eco Sport.
Thanks

It depends on the car value and the number of kmts of use a

Some rough average numbers on a small , medium vehicle for 3 years based on current values WITHOUT inflation ?? for new car

For Ford Ecosport add 50 % for plates, and insurance.

license plate $12,000
Fuel ??? depends on kmts used and car efficiency $18.000
Oil and Filters estimate $6,000
Tires $5000
Maintenance mechanic ?(none for new Car?)
Insurance $30,000
Parking Cochera $$55,000

TOTAL;; $126,000 Avg $3500 per month

Insurance+ PArking amount for 68% .Depreciation not included

It depends on the car value and the number of kmts of use a

Some rough average numbers on a small , medium vehicle for 3 years based on current values WITHOUT inflation ?? for new car

For Ford Ecosport add 50 % for plates, and insurance.

license plate $12,000
Fuel ??? depends on kmts used and car efficiency $18.000
Oil and Filters estimate $6,000
Tires $5000
Maintenance mechanic ?(none for new Car?)
Insurance $30,000
Parking Cochera $$55,000

TOTAL;; $126,000 Avg $3500 per month

Insurance+ PArking amount for 68% .Depreciation not included

Thanks, Rich. Your list motivated me to see what my car is costing me to own (at today's prices).

Here's what I came up with for my 1994 Puegeot 405 (which I really like, even after driving a half dozen German sedans in the USA):

License plates: $000
Fuel: I drive about 3000 km per year and usually buy about $400 of nafta per month: $14.400 for 36 months
Oil and Filters: one filter and six ltrs of oil per year: estimate $1.800 for 36 months
Tires: New three years ago (and should last at least six more), so one third of buying the same tires at today's prices: $2000
New battery (once every three years): $1000
Maintenance in the past six years: about $12.000 pesos (new head gasket, water pump, timing belt, many suspension parts): $6.000
Insurance $350 per month (for liability coverage only as collision coverage for my car is not available): $12.600
Parking Cochera: 000

TOTAL: $37.800 Avg: $1.050 per month

I don't have to be very concerned with depreciation or resale value (About $50,000), but If I am at fault in an accident the insurance will not cover the damage to my car. Fortunately, I have the covered space to "part it out" if that ever happens. If I have to buy another used car in the next ten years, I would look for the same model (made through 2001).

Back