Counterfeit Money

cruizes

Registered
Is the still a big problem of people trying to pass counterfeit bills especially if you buy on the black market? How can you tell the difference?

Thanks....

I've changed literally hundreds of thousands of pesos and I've never gotten a single fake note. The old notes have similar security features to an old usd 100

I've not had any fake 100's (and only 1 evita 100 that i had a hard time spending until a supermarket accepted it).

I have had one fake 50 given to me by a taxi driver and once santander rio claimed 2 100s i gave them for a credit card payment were fake. They weren't and i presume the worker there swapped them in when counting. :angry: Haven't had a problem since avoiding that branch like the plague.

It seems to be smaller problem now. I once received 2 fake 50 pesos at a cambio place on
Santa Fe, the woman was so nervious when she gave me the fake, there was a big
guy guarding at the door. They are not there anymore.

The sad thing was that I did not know it was fake, I used it at a restaurant, after I left,
the watress had to run 3 blocks to catch me. She was polite, and knew that I was
a victim, I gave her some dollars instead.

The fake is of low quality, not like the North Korean super notes, you can feel
and tell the difference if you pay attention.

I was counting the 100 peso bills I have left from my last XOOM transfer about a month ago, and one of the bills got my attention. I compared it with the others, and it appeared to be a very good counterfeit.

Here is a list of things to look for in the new 100 peso bills:

1. Hold up the bill to the light and you'll notice that the watermark of Eva Peron in the white space on the left side is smaller than on authentic bills; her initials below the watermark are in another position.

2. The artwork on the reverse side is fuzzy

3. The first of two signatures on the reverse side is poorly copied

4. The leaf artwork on the front (to the left of Eva Peron's head) is darker and larger.

5. There is artwork near the green seal on the front.

You don't need a magnifying glass to see these differences. I took the bill to a Rapipago to consult people who check bills all the time; she used the scratch test with a pen. The paper passed the test.

This is my first experience with a counterfeit bill. I'll be checking all bills I receive at the counter of More Money from now on.

Honestly 100 pesos is worth so little these days not many people are going to try to counterfeit it.

Exactly, better wait till 500's show up at least.

When I got here, a 100 peso bill would be examined with more attention than a 100 USD bill got in the US. I found this funny, because even back then the bill was only worth 25 dollars. Nobody bothers with that anymore.

I was counting the 100 peso bills I have left from my last XOOM transfer about a month ago, and one of the bills got my attention. I compared it with the others, and it appeared to be a very good counterfeit.

Here is a list of things to look for in the new 100 peso bills:

1. Hold up the bill to the light and you'll notice that the watermark of Eva Peron in the white space on the left side is smaller than on authentic bills; her initials below the watermark are in another position.

2. The artwork on the reverse side is fuzzy

3. The first of two signatures on the reverse side is poorly copied

4. The leaf artwork on the front (to the left of Eva Peron's head) is darker and larger.

5. There is artwork near the green seal on the front.

You don't need a magnifying glass to see these differences. I took the bill to a Rapipago to consult people who check bills all the time; she used the scratch test with a pen. The paper passed the test.

This is my first experience with a counterfeit bill. I'll be checking all bills I receive at the counter of More Money from now on.

If it passed the test just spend it. Some of the new notes were so badly printed...

If it passed the test just spend it. Some of the new notes were so badly printed...

I can't spend a bill that I know is counterfeit. The smaller watermark is the best indication of counterfeit. I won't even pass it on to someone who asks for money.

I plan to keep it as an example to show visitors what to look for. I will make a point of showing it to MORE Money on Libertad.

The only fake bill I know I got, came out of my bank. I spent it, not worth bothering yourself... Now I don't even check them.

Back