COVID treatment in BA - to-do for nomad

Xander

Registered
Hi everyone,

Me and my wife are nomads and we are in BA on a tourist visa so we've entered with insurance which covers COVID. And we've caught it! I was lucky to get through it easily with temperature not rising higher than 37.2C during 5 days but my wife's on approximately day 4 (incubated a bit longer than me) and her's temperature just hit 38.8C (took paracetamol to reduce it a bit).

Question - what would be our course of action in case she's not getting better? We don't know Spanish so some things are a bit more challenging (but not impossible of course). Can we get a home visit to get some recommendations (obviously symptomatic treatment but still) and can you recommend some clinic or family doctor to arrange such a visit? What are the qualifications for hospitalization and what is the process? Is there a possibility to choose a hospital, are there premium (paid) options to ensure more attention or at least knowledge of English?

I'm very anxious now so not sure if I'm asking the question in the best way, feel free to recommend something I could have missed and not specifically asked about. Thanks for all the help you could provide.

Is there a possibility to choose a hospital, are there premium (paid) options to ensure more attention or at least knowledge of English?
This is a question to your insurance provider. Sometimes they have only a couple of local hospitals they work with. So, figure out what hospitals are covered. If you are paying out of pocket, then you can choose pretty much any hospital you want, naturally.

If you believe she needs to be hospitalized, just go directly to the emergency room. There is a doctor on duty there 24/7.

Hello, Sorry to hear that you both have Covid. I had it a few months ago and did call for home visits once or twice. I imagine someone more knowledgable than me will reply in the morning. If things get worse you can go to a hospital emergency room known as Guardia. It might expedite the process here if you tell us what area you are staying in, we might give you a hospital recommendation, and who is your insurance provider. If you haven’t already contacted your travel insurance provider, contact them and see if they can tell you where to go.

For covid information call 147 from local cell phone.

If you could speak Spanish you could do an immediate Videoconference with a doctor at Hospital Italiano (demanda espontanea) without being a member, paying with a credit card. Check out the "portal de pacientes" on the pc or on the app of Hospital Italiano. Not sure what happens if you are not able to communicate in Spanish, you may try asking the admin staff at the time you check in online if a doctor can speak to you in English.

If you could speak Spanish you could do an immediate Videoconference with a doctor at Hospital Italiano (demanda espontanea) without being a member, paying with a credit card. Check out the "portal de pacientes" on the pc or on the app of Hospital Italiano. Not sure what happens if you are not able to communicate in Spanish, you may try asking the admin staff at the time you check in online if a doctor can speak to you in English.
These days, medical students at UBA study medical English. Not all doctors will have been trained there but it is reasonable to presume many will be comfortable speaking English.

Back