Credit Cards

fred mertz

Registered
About 2 years ago, when was paying for something with my U.S. bank credit card in a store in Madrid, Spain the cashier asked me if I'd like to be charged in Euros or U.S. dollars? I had never been asked that before or since. Last year, in another European city I asked for my
purchase to be billed in U.S. dollars. It was.
Although I never use a credit card in BA, I'm wondering if using a U.S. credit card here could be blled in US. $$$$$ ?

About 2 years ago, when was paying for something with my U.S. bank credit card in a store in Madrid, Spain the cashier asked me if I'd like to be charged in Euros or U.S. dollars? I had never been asked that before or since. Last year, in another European city I asked for my
purchase to be billed in U.S. dollars. It was.
Although I never use a credit card in BA, I'm wondering if using a U.S. credit card here could be blled in US. $$$$$ ?

My experience has always been that the local billing is always in pesos and the card issuer then does the conversion to dollars (at the offical rate, with a small international fee) at their end. Never heard of a direct charge and passthrough in unconverted dollars, but I don't use a card much here.

My experience has always been that the local billing is always in pesos and the card issuer then does the conversion to dollars (at the offical rate, with a small international fee) at their end. Never heard of a direct charge and passthrough in unconverted dollars, but I don't use a card much here.

Ed you are correct the charges incurred in BA with my US cards show in the statement only in Dollars, no mention of Argie pesos-

Always get billed in local currency - otherwise the conversion rate will be worse.

Always get billed in local currency - otherwise the conversion rate will be worse.

Its not a matter of choice with Bank of America or Citibank. Please explain your statement . When you get a receipt from the merchant in BA the amount is in pesos, in the statement it will be only in dollars.???

I'm assuming it's the same concepts as UK/Europe. the reason NOT to choose your own currency is that you're converting the money twice. Firstly at the conversion rate of the bank collecting the money (the card machine/retailer's bank) and then again at your own bank's rate (because they are told the foreign currency amount, not your own currency).

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2013/03/12/using-plastic-overseas-always-pay-in-euros-even-if-it-says-0-commission/?_ga=1.147844528.680094140.1455620766

I'm assuming it's the same concepts as UK/Europe. the reason NOT to choose your own currency is that you're converting the money twice. Firstly at the conversion rate of the bank collecting the money (the card machine/retailer's bank) and then again at your own bank's rate (because they are told the foreign currency amount, not your own currency).

http://blog.moneysav...4140.1455620766

GreenLeaf

When you go to fill up at a gas station in Buenos Aires the Gas Station boy passes your card through the Postnet and issues you a ticket in pesos. (He has no idea where and by whom your card was issued in which ever country) or exchange rates!

The CC Visa/Master Clearing House in BA issues a charges your bank in dollars at the daily exchange rate which will show in your Bank statement

I was asked only once if I wanted to be charged in ARS or USD and I asked for ARS because of the reasons mentioned above. I am using several foreign credit cards and only one bank offers full details about each transaction (amount in ARS, amount in EUR, their fee). All the other ones simply state the charge in EUR (or USD, if the card is from the US).

Back