Crime and Kindness

JeffBAfromUSA

Registered
I have lived here for about a month. There are a lot of discussions regarding crime in this city; these are my opinion and observations.
One of the first things I was warned about when I was talking about going to Buenos Aires was to watch out for robberies. Friends who had formally lived here had mentioned that it’s common to get your wallet or purse stolen while living or visiting there. I didn’t worry about this too much because I often hear people say “well you can have this in any big city.”

I sell different products here and one of them is doors, so I have had the opportunity to talk to a lot of people in the short time I have lived here. The topic of security always comes up because people want to know if my doors are secure. The doors in demand here are the type that have bars on the inside that when locked, the bars extended into the wall, floor, and ceiling to provide a secure almost impenetrable lock. I was surprised that this is what people wanted. This type of locking system is modeled after the locking system used by banks.

Somehow in the course of meeting people I would ask if they had ever been a victim of theft here. Most people said yes. In fact, a high percentage of people said yes they had been robbed. These were people from different parts of the city, different ages, and both men and women. Many had been robbed several times. I began to keep an unofficial log of this because I was so amazed at how common it was. The part that intrigued me the most is that not one of these people had reported the crime. I couldn’t understand this. I would reply, “If you don’t report it, how can things ever get better?” I got many in depth lectures about the corruption in the government, the police force, and the system in general which I realized, I didn’t understand.

I had a run of 15 people in a row who had said they had been robbed before I found someone who said they had never been. Certainly there are a lot of people here and if you ask enough people and you can find almost anything. No, not everyone gets robbed but I believe a high percentage of people do. More so then most people realize and partly because so much theft takes place and no one ever knows about it. The majority of people I talked to are full time residence of this area so temporary residents might have a different point of view. I stopped asking people if they had been robbed because some of the stories of theft were not so petty. Some were filled with emotional accounts of knife or gun point and descriptions how they feared for their life.

I would love to say it’s no different here than any other big city but I can’t. It is a charming city with most of the people you meet being very kind. I find this kindness quite a contrast from the danger that seems to permeate the city. As a visitor, I follow the suggestions about being safe and travel around the city a lot. I personally have never been robbed, but I also know the bars over all the windows and inside the doors in this city are there for a reason.

In regards to reporting crime - there definitely tends to be an attitude of "why bother". When someone attempted to steal my bag on the street a month or two ago, I asked the policeman who was a block away if I should report it. He just shrugged and said "You can if you want" but the implication was that it was a waste of time.

When we went to the police station after my friend's car was stolen, I have to say, they didn't exactly bend over backwards to be helpful. It took several hours (and we had to go to the police station, when we called to see if someone could come to my house to take a report (it was late and we were without a car obviously), they said no and to take a cab to come to them. We spent several hours doing paperwork which was a huge headache and really, more for the insurance company than anything else. And when she asked if there was any chance her truck would turn up, they just laughed and said not a chance. So yes, I understand why people don't bother.

unless the cops see the crime in progress or catch the killer with a knife in hand, don't count on them helping very much.

i felt safer in bogota colombia than I did in B.A.

i felt safer in bogota colombia than I did in B.A.

C´mon! You sound already like a "La Nacion" commenter.Please, Bogota...

I was robbed once, 20 pesos, my fault, walking outside the tourist area in La Boca.

Maybe people here should move out of the tourist areas, or even (gasp!) out of Buenos Aires and into the suburbs. And not, not paranoic San Isidro or a country club, but peaceful normal western and southern suburbs.

citygirl said:
In regards to reporting crime - there definitely tends to be an attitude of "why bother". When someone attempted to steal my bag on the street a month or two ago, I asked the policeman who was a block away if I should report it. He just shrugged and said "You can if you want" but the implication was that it was a waste of time.

When we went to the police station after my friend's car was stolen, I have to say, they didn't exactly bend over backwards to be helpful. It took several hours (and we had to go to the police station, when we called to see if someone could come to my house to take a report (it was late and we were without a car obviously), they said no and to take a cab to come to them. We spent several hours doing paperwork which was a huge headache and really, more for the insurance company than anything else. And when she asked if there was any chance her truck would turn up, they just laughed and said not a chance. So yes, I understand why people don't bother.

This is now common with the police everywhere; I had all my out buildings broken into in N.Wales, the police just gave me a crime number for the insurance. Another time I had my kitchen window shot (wot in the UK!!) and again all I got was a crime number.
Police all over the world are now almost powerless. You take your choice, go to a country where the police can beat you up for nothing and they will cut your hands off for stealing, or you go to a "soft" country where the criminals have their way.

marksoc said:
Maybe people here should move out of the tourist areas, or even (gasp!) out of Buenos Aires and into the suburbs. And not, not paranoic San Isidro or a country club, but peaceful normal western and southern suburbs.

Getting out of the touristy areas is good advice, but there's crime in the whole BA metro area, the "conurbano" - no suburb is safe from it.

However, some suburbs are more convenient than others, and many in those mythical "peaceful normal western and southern suburbs" would give their eyeteeth to live in "paranoid" San Isidro. Just compare the Once trains to Ituzaingo with the Retiro trains to San Isidro.

I have nothing against places like Lomas de Zamora or Ituzaingo except that they are South and West of the city, and access is murder.

just a small statistical sidenote to your post. It's natural that the people who come to you for security doors are far more likely to have suffered crime than a "normal" person.

the non-reporting of crime is an odd one though and reflects what I've come across too. Makes you realise the official crime statistics aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

marksoc said:

Moving out of Capital isn't exactly a realistic suggestion for most people living and working here...

MizzMarr said:
Moving out of Capital isn't exactly a realistic suggestion for most people living and working here...

Exactly. Everyone is always talking about moving out to the suburbs or the campo for the real Argentina or safety....in theory that's great. But I would take a good guess and bet most expats are working in and around el centro, Palermo, Recoleta, Belgrano etc. Why would I trade a 15-20 minute commute in Palermo for an hour commute from the burbs? Did that in LA.....not fun.

marksoc said:
C´mon! You sound already like a "La Nacion" commenter.Please, Bogota...

I was robbed once, 20 pesos, my fault, walking outside the tourist area in La Boca.

have you been there?? clean streets, smiling people, armed gov't men with machine guns.....

not everyone (gasp!) is able to move on whim, so it appears many ppl will be stuck in crime ridden b.a.

you think it's ok that just b/c you aren't a local you deserved to get robbed in a certain area? with that mindset you deserve it. I don't think it's right for me to EVER be rob or assaulted. If that's the case, maybe I should start hitting the brown kids since they are the ones who typically rob and assault others.

Back