Crime in BA

GingerCat

Registered
Hello!
My husband and I will be arriving in BA for a 5-week holiday, touring Argentina and then ending with a 12-night stay in BA. We've been reading articles about crime in BA and have been wondering if it is "safe" to bring our digital SLR camera on this trip (large-ish camera with big-ish lense). What tips do you all have for staying safe??

You are reasonably safe in most areas but don't leave it unattended at any time. As an example one of Bush's daughters had her purse stolen here in a restaurant while under Secret Service protection. Leave expensive jewelery and watches at home, invest in a money belt, you should be alright.

Hi Ginger, Im curious where are you from? We moved here from Los Angeles and I feel much safer here than there, but petty crime is common here so I would be very careful with the camera in Buenos Aires. Outside the city (I mean way outside, Gran Buenos Aires is not that safe) I would feel fine to carry my slr anywhere (and I do). As always you have to have some street smarts (like an metropolitan place) and avoid shady neighborhoods (or have some sense about it).

Yes and leave the watch at home. Im wearing a plastic casio right now and it works just fine.

Hi! I am a keen photographer also. Generally, I just make sure I don't walk around with my SLR hanging around my neck. I take pictures, then put it back in my bag - not the Nikon bag, just a large handbag that has enough room for my SLR :). And yes, some barrios are safer than others.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for your responses so far. We're from Toronto, Canada, so while we live in a large metropolitan area, we are also blessed by living in a very safe city. In Toronto, I would also would not leave my SLR just sitting in an exposed area, waiting to be snatched, but I also would not be in the least concerned, wearing the camera around my neck. My concern in BA is being in the street, and being "rolled" by a group of thieves in broad daylight ... like in the oft-quoted mustart/pidgeon poop scam that I've read about.

Ironically, when I am in Toronto I am far more preoccupied than I ought to be by safety issues because of all the conditioning I get in Bs As :) I would endorse all the good advice you've received above and just say don't get too paranoid about it but don't let your guard down. I use a digital bridge camera which is not quite as big as a full-blown SLR and I keep it in one of my voluminous pockets when I'm not actively photographing things. There are two of you: if you are looking out for each other, not each taking pictures simultaneously, you should be fine.

I had the pidgeon shit scam done to me and my husband 4 years ago (in the microcentro) and we had not a cent on us and were in cheap jeans & t-shirts, it is quite common. I got sprayed a second time just as I got into a cab...You have to be aware, even if you don't have cameras and are dressed simply.

Its more that camera equipment is very expensive here (well, all electronics really), and the locals are really aware of crime. So, by wearing it around your neck, you are essentially letting people know you are a tourist and also could send the message that you are a 'rich tourista'.

GingerCat said:
What tips do you all have for staying safe??

Unfortunately, there's no formula for staying 100% safe (as in any other big city, I guess). Try to avoid unnecessary risks. The replies above are all good advice. Keep your valuables out of sight if you're not using them. Don't bring an expensive camera unless you're really into photography and really want to take high-quality pictures. It's the one thing you can't keep out of sight for long. Also, if you need a taxi ride, always call radio taxi companies. Again, safety can't be 100% guaranteed, but companies are concerned about their reputations and tend to choose their drivers carefully.

Use your common sense, be careful but not paranoid, and enjoy your stay. :)

allisonk said:
Its more that camera equipment is very expensive here (well, all electronics really), and the locals are really aware of crime. So, by wearing it around your neck, you are essentially letting people know you are a tourist and also could send the message that you are a 'rich tourista'.

Indeed! This applies anywhere. Locals don't wear cameras.
It gets even more attention when the camera is worth more than most people make in a month.

Back