Crime sensation and real crime! opinion

During the last three years my shop has been held at gunpoint twice. The first I reported, the second one I didn't. They'd be halfway to Cuba by the time the typewriter had been unpacked by the police anyway.
Waste of time.
The car has been broken into twice and the spare wheel taken also.
My bicycle was nicked last week, almost from under my very nose, despite the fact it was chained and padlocked to a rail.
I worry for my soon- to- be- wife as she has to see clients in some pretty rough areas. We keep in touch throughout the day.
Btw, this has all happened in Olivos.
We are ultra careful with what we do now, but we can't live in a cage.
All we can do is endeavour to reduce the risk.

Gringoboy said:
My bicycle was nicked last week, almost from under my very nose, despite the fact it was chained and padlocked to a rail.
This has happened to me and a couple of friends in Sydney on more than one occasion, I think it's as equally likely to happen in many major cities in the world. (outside the ridiculously safe ones such as Scandinavian countries ...etc).

Another friend of mine was robbed at gunpoint in Perth twice, supposedly the safest capital city in Australia.

Lol nicked bicicles happen between 2 and 4 times a month in Amsterdam, but that is not to compare lol is a really safe city just have that problem that people steal bikes lol. Just make me fun when you mention that make me remember old good times in that city.

trennod said:
Any figures on robberies etc could never be reliable here. No one even reports them.

The figures from the Di Tella victimisation study are useful indicators, as they extrapolate crime levels from surveying the public on their direct experiences of crime. Most countries rely on survey data to estimate crime levels, as official figures will only ever paint part of the picture.

Can't find historical data from Di Tella, but their latest report is on their website: http://www.utdt.edu/ver_contenido.php?id_contenido=912&id_item_menu=1967

The media is a terrible place to go when you need reliable information about crime. If you want to get to grips with the issue its better to check the sources yourself. The press rarely offer much beyond half brained hacks trying to feed you sensationalised garbage which conforms to the editorial agenda.

lamarque said:
Lol nicked bicicles happen between 2 and 4 times a month in Amsterdam, but that is not to compare lol is a really safe city just have that problem that people steal bikes lol. Just make me fun when you mention that make me remember old good times in that city.
Actually, it's also one of the "crimes" that's quite high in Sweden too. Though mostly from drunk people wanting to get home I think.

Though I did speak with a guy I met from one of these northern European cites (mental blank), and he seemed to see nothing wrong with buying a cheap, stolen bike, and that the person who got robbed would just do the same ....etc. And it all balances out. Funny viewpoint.

Gringoboy said:
During the last three years my shop has been held at gunpoint twice. The first I reported, the second one I didn't. They'd be halfway to Cuba by the time the typewriter had been unpacked by the police anyway.
Waste of time.
I worry for my soon- to- be- wife as she has to see clients in some pretty rough areas. We keep in touch throughout the day.
Btw, this has all happened in Olivos.
We are ultra careful with what we do now, but we can't live in a cage.
All we can do is endeavour to reduce the risk.

Didn't a (soon to be) expat with (self proclaimed) great social skills (with the exception of making a good impression on this forum) recently post that she was moving to Olivos for a year?

Welcome to hell, sweetie.

bomber said:
This has happened to me and a couple of friends in Sydney on more than one occasion, I think it's as equally likely to happen in many major cities in the world. (outside the ridiculously safe ones such as Scandinavian countries ...etc).

Another friend of mine was robbed at gunpoint in Perth twice, supposedly the safest capital city in Australia.[/quote]

Yeah but gringoboy has just given examples of about 6/7 different crimes that he has been personally affected by in the last few years. Hows that for a strike rate? Dont agree with you it would be normal for most major cities in the world, outside of Latin America. You also need to take in to account the fact that most people are more careful here.

With respect to the bolded part, thats terrible, how the hell did that happen? The reason I ask is I am originally from Perth. Did he work in a 24 hour service station or something?

lamarque said:
Well i suppose is a point of view and a valid one for sure, but for me if someone steal me the insurance company pay for it and anyway i never carry that much money more than an iphone and enought money to do what i have to do in any case, but if someone kill me then there is nothing else to do and no one to fix the situation the same if someone of your family or friends get killed that is unfixable.

My point was not that it is "oh so horrible" that people lose their things like iPhones or laptops or money. My point is that if you're held at gunpoint and robbed, you are scarred by that experience. I am talking about psychological problems that result from getting robbed at gunpoint. It has got nothing to do with insurance. You can't buy insurance against feeling insecure.

Back