Cuenta DNI - digital wallet backed by the govt

lunar

Registered
After recent fiasco with huge lines of retirees to the banks, government is pushing now a "Cuenta DNI" - a digital wallet / cell phone application from Banco de la Provincia.

https://www.bancoprovincia.com.ar/cuentadni/index?url=cdniIndividuos

This is a free savings account (caja de ahorro) in Banco de la Provincia with an advanced application that allows P2P payments, payments at POS terminals, getting money from ATMs etc.

They have integration with the Registro de las Personas. When you open an account for identification you take a picture of your DNI and take a selfie. I believe verification procedure is automatic.

Since this is actually a "caja de ahorro", you should be able get a debit card and access online banking at Banco Provincia, etc.

I have not used it myself and I am not familiar with Banco Provincia, but it may be an interesting option for people who are looking to switch to electronic payments.

Did anybody use it? Its been 2 years. Is it legit? Can I get money from it at ATM abroad?

Last edited:
What's the difference between this and any other bank account?

It was one of the first solutions for people to to open an account remotely during pandemia to receive their retirement payments. Now I don't see any compelling reasons to use it. May be for paying highway tolls.

This is a zombie thread, BUT, i can vouch that the Cuenta DNI is very good both for withdrawing cash pesos deposited via cbu, and for keeping track of monthly bills through the ¨pagos de servicios" section. I must say that the phone i used to set up the account is no longer in my rotation and therefore i just use the Banco Provincia app, but that's fine unless you really needed the 10% off DIA purchases on Thursdays via QR in only that app. The fact that you can't transfer the app to another phone without submitting ID is very stupid and I refuse to do the bending over for this. Is it better than any other bank?... I think all the banks are a 1 out of 10 so i don´t know. Equally bad at best.

EDIT: sorry, I had "dead keys" set on my keyboard language, and my post looked like doodoo merda without a few fixes.

Last edited:
Back