CUIT/Despachante help

harrisonk

Registered
I was mailed a laptop from the US and it's currently stuck in aduanas, and DHL says it can only be released with a CUIT or a despachante. Any advice or recommendations? If CUIT is like a social security # I assume it would be inappropriate to ask to borrow someone's. And I've had no luck finding a despachante that handles personal packages instead of shipping containers. To be clear, I'm a tourist and don't have a CUIT. Taxes/tariffs aren't a concern since it's time sensitive.

Hey! If taxes/tariff costs aren’t a concern, but time is, it may be a better option to buy a laptop here.

I’m not exaggerating either, receiving packages from overseas is near impossible due to all the bureaucracy involved. And anything to do with the government or authorities is slow, ridiculously slow. Even with the paperwork in order, it will take at least a few months to go through the system. It’s just how things here and it sucks.

The excessive bureaucracy and government inefficiency is one of the biggest drawbacks of being in Argentina. Sorry to not be of more help :(

CUIT is a type of tax number yes.

Only Argentine citizens have CUIT. Those of us who have residency have a CUIL and that will not suffice. When we were in the same situation, we had to use an Argentine friend's CUIT.

If you can get a CUIT, given that you are using DHL, it might not take to long to get it. That was the case with a rug my wife ordered from Amazon, but that was a few years ago.

I have a friend who's a citizen and is leaving the country. He's willing to let you use his CUIT. I'll send you a direct message.

Only Argentine citizens have CUIT. Those of us who have residency have a CUIL and that will not suffice. When we were in the same situation, we had to use an Argentine friend's CUIT.

If you can get a CUIT, given that you are using DHL, it might not take to long to get it. That was the case with a rug my wife ordered from Amazon, but that was a few years ago.
Having a CUIL vs a CUIT has nothing to do with citizenship / residency status. A CUIL (clave unico indentificacion labor) is for employees and a CUIT (clave unico indentificacion tributaria) is for businesses, self employed people, corporate directors, large shareholders, etc.

Nightmare! I think you might get it out in 2-3 weeks.
We had a package sent to us DHL where we had to pay import duty and it took around that long,

Actually just checked and it was more like 6 weeks

Thank you all for your comments. An update: yesterday the rep suggested that any CUIT/CUIL would suffice, but today they insisted that it must match the name of the recipient. So borrowing someone's is not an option, for DHL at least. It also took a stern talking-to to convince them to return the package to the sender instead of telling Customs to mark it as "abandoned". Never underestimate customer service in this country.

Back