Cultures: High vs. Low context.

Jen27

Registered
Hello all,
Because of a recent situation with the apt rental company, I am remembering a really interesting class from grad school about understanding the difference between high and low context cultures.

High context cultures can use very few words to communicate very complex ideas, wants, needs, etc.

Low-context cultures (i.e. America) need to spell out everything, give direct answers that don't rely on body language, implications, etc.

Interacting with someone from a different type of culture could bring conflict if you aren't aware of where your friend/business partner/client is coming from.

Here are a list of cultures that fit into either category (Of course it's not a definitive list and is based on generalizations, etc., and there are always exceptions), but nevertheless it's interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_context_culture

Lower Context Culture AmericanAustralianEnglish CanadianEnglishGermanIrishNew ZealandScandinavia Higher context Culture AfricanArabBrazilianChineseFilipinosFinnishFrench CanadianFrenchGreekHungarianIndianItalianJapaneseKoreanLatin AmericansRussianSpanishThaiTurkishSo, my question is, have yall experienced and situations where your background of a high/low context culture has caused you misunderstand someone which causes conflict?
I'm trying to understand this culture (BsAs) better while I'm here, so I'm just throwing this out there to discuss or for anyone to share their experiences, since they are so often a great way to learn about what things are like here!

Ciao!

I don't get it. Nor was the wikipedia article't that informative. Could you give an example of a high context interaction and a low context interaction?

Ha. Ok, sorry for being unclear. Here is one example we talked about in school...

Americans and the like rely on very few context clues to understand each other and value being direct. For example, a customer service worker might say, "No, that's absolutely not possible, sorry"

People from high context cultures rely on inferences, body language, indirect communication, etc. to get across the same point. In a high context culture, that same customer service rep might say, "We will try and do x, x, x for you to fix the situation", but might not DIRECTLY tell you what is true. You are supposed to infer.

I guess I should have said- Have you found communication styles here to be indirect as the research shows, or is it more of a mix here? Do people expect you to "read between the lines" or have you found you can be more direct?

Does that help, or is it still muddled?

I always find that I get a definite NO as a first answer here, and to get a positive answer takes time and patience and refusal to accept the no. For example, wanting to change an Aerolineas Argentinas booking, the girl at the counter can´t find your booking so she says ´there is no such booking, you don´t exist. Go and talk to your travel agent´. My normal reaction as a foreigner is to apologise, leave and go find my travel agent who won´t be able to help me. I have learned that you have to stay at the counter, smile, keep insisting and not leave until you get what you want.
I don´t think that fits in with your High context Low context idea though.

As an American working in South America, the rule of thumb I generally go by regarding high context is; Yes means maybe; maybe means no; and no means no. Not always true but best example I've heard.

Thank you for the last two responses! Both very interesting.

I'm not sure I explained it as well as my teacher in grad school, but high/low context culture topic is actually quite interesting.

You might find that, even if you and your spouse/partner are from the same country as you are, your family culture might differ significantly, and this will impact how you communicate every day, as well as how you expect someone to communicate with you.

I experience this a lot here. I am a pretty receptive American but, I still miss a lot of the clues here. For example when I was interviewing for a job I obviously missed the clues that I had actually gotten it. It wasn't until I was given new hire docs to complete that I realized they had offered me the job. I guess I was supposed to infer this from the conversation. They also required some tramites that were confusing and I realized I was supposed to figure out what was actually needed.

Another example I've had is with doctors. They hardly ever ask, " does it hurt here" or, things like that. I think they just watch your reaction. They also don't explain all the details directly that they do at home. This bothered me at first. Even if I am familiar with the procedures, I want to be walked through them step by step even for something simple.

I think it varies from individual to individual. It's hard to come up with generalizations that fit everyone. :)

I've found a lot of Argentines to be very direct when it comes to expressing their feelings or complaints. I've been told I have a wide back while shopping! First I couldn't believe that the salesgirl would say that, and secondly that I couldn't find a coat that fit being a US size 4. :rolleyes:

There is also a tendency to say things indirectly, especially joking or with body language, whereas in the US one might just come out and say it. My boyfriend for one has a certain charisma which I lack in being able to get what he wants - often relying on humor or "bro" camaraderie. Being Argentine and knowing how things work certainly helps.

But even his charisma doesn't help him when people are unwilling to cooperate or looking to swindle you, which happens all too often. He needed to get a replacement part for his car - called the dealer and the dealer said "we don't have it, you'll have to look for it on your own" so he tried to locate the part, was unsuccessful, and after several weeks of searching decided to visit the dealership to face them in person and was attended by another agent who told him that he didn't have to look for it himself since they had suppliers they work with. Within 10 minutes he had located the part, and my boyfriend was on his way. We had a similar experience when it came to acquiring the "pass" to get married in a church outside of our area. They make things really difficult at first until you insist and keep asking. I suppose that's really not related to (mis)communication but rather difficulty to work with. :p

Since Argentina is known stereotypically for being a country full of actors on the world's stage, much of the communication here is just sheer theatrics for the sheer pleasure of "inter-acting". That is, me pumping you up (boosting your ego) and lowering mine (especially if I need something from you). Conversely, if I am the one who has the goods you need, then it is my role to make sure you know that "I don't really need you" and that you should "work for my attention". It is just a game......I think the verb is "chusmear" or something in castellano. I don't know if I would call that "high or low culture" per se. This communication dance is not serious really, but it is an important cultural nuance here. For North Americans, it is a "waste of time" but for Argentenians it is important in a sense because "human relations/interactions" are more important here than efficiency or organizational skills which are interpreted frequently as "cold" and "impersonal." A little bit of both is good in my book.

Back