Cupcakes in Buenos Aires?

tori29

Registered
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had a good cupcake recommendation for Buenos Aires. Am nearing end of my pregnancy and could really do with a good sugar hit of cupcake (ideally without dulce de leche- nothing against the stuff, just want something more cupcake-y original!).
Thank you for any tips!

There is a good looking stand in El Solar Shopping in Las canitas

It's been my experience that the porteño idea of a cupcake is a muffin or magdalena with some overly sweet topping.

For some reason it seems they do not appreciate “cake” - cakes are often dense or creamy goop, not light and fluffy. Bizcocho (the closest to US style cake) is often served plain - you can buy box cake mix in the store. Most frosting is cream or ganache, not the stiffer buttercream I'm used to.

I'm sure there's some specialty bakery in the city that offers them, though. :) I’ve just been disappointed one too many times by the “cupcakes” my niece brings home from birthday parties.

About 8 months pregnant myself... The baking scene leaves something to be desired. Don't even get me started on the abomination that is dulce-de-leche filled cold churros...

Airy or dense, the key missing factor in most Argentine cakes is moisture. Over the past 14 years, I've discovered that most cakes (including budins) are baked far too long. Yeast baked goods are fine here, for the most part, but the basic egg/liquid/flour cake is a disaster.

Try Whoopies on Coronel Diaz at Paraguay. Cupcakes we’ve had there are good.

Airy or dense, the key missing factor in most Argentine cakes is moisture. .

Indeed...most off the shelf cakes here are like something you'd produce from a packet of instant mix topped with jam and diced coconut.
My local bakers do certain things consistently well - usually anything with dulce de leche in it - but as soon as they venture out of their comfort zone they're a disaster. His latest line were 'doughnuts' which were actually just thicker versions of torta fritas.

The thing I miss most is a fresh cream chocolate eclair.

The thing I miss most is a fresh cream chocolate eclair.

Me, too. The closest thing I’ve found are the cream-filled croissants at Boulan at Ugarteche and Cabello. If only they would just toss that sucker in a bowl of melted dark chocolate...

Back