...Currently in the States...

tctrader

Registered
Hello All... I'm trying to find out info on relocation to Buenos Aires. I got mixed signals when I contacted the Argentine Consulate in Chicago. I would like to know what everyone/most people/what I should do in order to come to Buenos Aires in order to live there. I know that I can travel to Argentina without a visa for up to 90 days, but I would like to stay there longer. Also, I was told (by the consulate) that I would not be allowed to enter the country unless I have a round-trip airline ticket with a return date no more than 90 days after my departure date. Is this also true? I would love to become a resident of Argentina, but am very confused on how to proceed... Can anyone help me?

I hope that this makes sense as well as hoping that this will help me find some answers! Thank you in advance!

-trever ([email protected])

If you can "prove" a "stable foreign income" of about 3000 pesos per month that will continue uninterrupted while you are in Argentina, you can apply for the visa rentista. The word "rentista" refers to income, not "rents" as the term is used in English.

If you use the search feature of this forum you will find a lot of useful information.

Some (if not most) airlines won't let you board without a return ticket, but I did buy a RT ticket on Mexicana in excess of 90 days. Thanks to e-ticketing, migraciones does not ask to see a return ticket when you arrive. It is possible to renew the 90 day visa here without too much trouble. After the second 90 days you "must" leave the country, but you can return the same day and start the 6 month process over again. If your visa has expired you will be charged a 300 peso fine upon departure, but you still can go to Uruguay and return the same day. I believe it now costs 200 pesos to renew the 90 day visa at migraciones

There is no control on the return ticket, as long there is a return ticket because otherwise the airline might not check you in

Just put a return date way out in the future (6 months or so) and change it if you need to. And while it doesn't make a lot of sense, more often than not a round trip could be less expensive than a one way (save the "one-way" carriers like southwest).

steveinbsas said:
If your visa has expired you will be charged a 300 peso fine upon departure, but you still can go to Uruguay and return the same day. I believe it now costs 200 pesos to renew the 90 day visa at migraciones

The tourist visa renewal with Migraciones is 300 pesos, the same as the fine upon departure. It was only 100 pesos until March 2009.

Today I experienced what others have found at Migraciones to renew a visa. I went yesterday and was told that they start giving out numbers at 7:30am and only 50 are available for visa extensions. I missed another opportunity today arriving at 9:30am. Things have changed drastically since I was last there in January for renewal.

I went directly to Buquebus to buy a ticket for Thursday travel to Colonia, Uruguay. There were no lines. I paid 210 pesos for a round-trip ticket on the fast boat that leaves at 11:45 and returns at 5:00.

A trip to Colonia for the day beats the hassle at Migraciones. That's what I'll be doing every 90 days from now on.

Go to Entre Rios and check out the sites there. It might even be a bit cheaper and more fun then Colonia

Back