Cycling Club

onmywaytoBA

Registered
I'm new here, is there anything that exists for cycle enthusiasts? I'm moving out at the end of the month and bringing my cannondale F700 with me.

It would be good to meet up on occasional saturday or sundays and do some cycling, somewhere interesting and within reach, then also I'd like to arrange maybe a long weekend of touring somewhere in some mountains or something.

Google "mejor en bici buenos aires" (or look at their facebook page of the same name) for the bike paths in the city (and projected new ones). You are coming at a good time because the city is just started this program (not sure when but a guess is it was sometime in 2010) and biking is gaining popularity here. Another thing they are implementing is that paid temporary garages in the city must provide spots for bikes at 1/10 the hourly rate of cars (not sure how many garages will comply asap but I dont see why they would miss a profit).

Patagonia is a popular touring location and you can also google "biking Patagonia" for tons of companies doing supported tours.

There is a cycling club that organizes a beginning ride that leaves from Palermo 14:30, Av Libertador y Godoy Cruz every Saturday. There might be some blackout dates during the winter, I am not sure.
Great for folks like expats I would imagine who are new to the city and are still getting to know it and would love a tranqui ride where they can get to know other Argentine cyclers.
Ride on!

emilyr said:
There is a cycling club that organizes a beginning ride that leaves from Palermo 14:30, Av Libertador y Godoy Cruz every Saturday. There might be some blackout dates during the winter, I am not sure.
Great for folks like expats I would imagine who are new to the city and are still getting to know it and would love a tranqui ride where they can get to know other Argentine cyclers.
Ride on!
This is the kind of thing that I think you are talking about.

Also, I've seen serious cyclists around the northern parts of Recoleta and parts of Palermo along Av. Libertadores & Figueroa-Alcorta. They start off early on Saturdays I think and ride to Tigre (about 18 miles to the north).

Though there are more bike paths now, that's probably not what you're looking for.

And though Critical Mass might offer an opportunity to find other serious riders, a 5km ride at 3 to 5 miles per hour is not what your bike was made for.

If you can't actually find a cycling club online, but you Spanish is pretty good, I would seriously consider just riding around near the MALBA (museum) on Figueroa-Alcorta somewhat early on a Saturday or Sunday and then asking the groups you see if they know of a club.

Another thing to do with be to find higher end bike stores and ask the employees what they know. There is one on Scalabrini Ortiz between Santa Fe & Arenales (Palermo) that has some pretty nice bikes and those guys should know something.

Correction:

I just googled your bike and see that it's more of an off road bike. In this case, check bike stores and Critical Mass. The road cycling clubs might not be of much help.

Hello,
I'm staying in Palermo and have a road bike. Does anyone know if there is a Saturday/Sunday ride?
Details?
I'd be eager to join a group, riding solo here seems too dangerous.

Aron
(skype: simpletix)

Thanks!

yeah i have my road bike with me now, would be interested in something like this too

A few friends and I just did a trip to San Miguel del Monte on our bikes -- about 120 km one way. We don't do this often, but might do something similar in the future.

We also go to most of the Critical Mass events, the "official" ones as well as the improvised ones.

Get in touch, if you'd like.

is this still the site for critical mass BA?

http://www.masacriticabsas.com.ar/cuandodonde.php

doesn't seem too recently updated...

There is a group of riders that meets every Sunday AM at 9:30ish at the Petrobas on Libertador and La Pampa in Belgrano. They ride to Tigre (I think). My inline skate group leaves at 10:00 for Tigre and we pass them usually about half-way. They might not be the fastest riders. :)

Back