Dangers of pulling out money at atms

That article has been posted here already though. And yes, I am paranoid every time I withdraw.

When I was living in Argentina... I would withdraw the money from inside a local mall...keeping an eye out for who might be watching. Like many things in Argentina... the policy actually goes against what makes sense in practice. The excuse the banks/government give for 300pesos per atm withdrawal "is for your protection". The reality is for them to ream you for the charges. To stand at an ATM for 5 minutes...making withdrawal after withdrawal to get your 3000pesos rent money... attracts attention from thieves... but as long as they get their 5U$S for every 300pesos (50U$S in charges in 5 minutes)...this will not change

It is? That would be a welcome change :)
Is that at all ATM's or do the small ones (not in a bank) still have the 300 limit?

I have never had a problem taking out 1000 pesos to go pay rent in one swift motion.

I agree that this system is for the purpose of making money for the banks . A three thousand peso withdrawal should be allowed per transaction. It hardly buys a lot these days and it certainly would make a lot easier for all.

at no point in the last 3 years was i not able to take out at least 3k pesos at Citibank, so I think it's a little more complicated than some of y'all are making it out to be.

But, if you get held at gunpoint while the bad guys get money with your cards is better to have a 1000-1500 peso limit per day.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
gsi16386 Expat Life 10
J Expat Life 23
Back