Day trips (that aren't Tigre...)

starlucia

Registered
I'm interested in exploring some small towns outside of Capital (other than good old Tigre and San Antonio de Areco), that are easy to get to by bus or train. Am especially interested in Mercedes and Lujan, and did see them mentioned in a previous thread, but was hoping to get a bit more information about actual things to do and see. Bonus points for a place I could combine architecture and museums with a bit of hiking or cycling...

La Plata is a beautiful city to explore, 50 km away from Buenos Aires.

You can visit Pasaje La Piedad and Pasaje Rivarola for a short time in Capital Federal too.

There is nothing very interesting, to be honest. Argentine towns are pretty scruffy but Chascomous has a somewhat interesting old part of town and is better than most. The train goes there from Constitucion station. There is a train that runs (I think just once a day) from Retiro to Mercedes and a frequent service that leaves from another station, I think Once (Plaza Miserere).

Lujan is a must:

- The National Basilica, a piece of Europe right in the the Pampas, Argentinian style.
- Museum of Transport.
- Museum of National History.
- A recognized restaurant run by nuns.
- An attractions park right out of the 1960s.
- A riverside unchanged from the 1950s (or it seems like that).

Go in a Sunday to be with the people (thousands go to the Basilica).

Very easy to get by bus from Palermo, train from Once is more difficult, have little roads around for biking, or you could go back to Buenos Aires passing by Capilla del Señor and making it a weekend.

Argentine towns are pretty scruffy

Compared with what? Monte, Chascomus, Azul, Tandil, even little Cañuelas are nice places. Each town is different (but similar) each has its quirks, grand buildings, strange architechture (have you seen "Historias Extraordinarias"?)

I forgot La Plata. The cathedral is the best in Argentina -- beautifully maintained, no kitsch. Well worth seeing.

There is also a museum of natural history. I haven't been there in years. It was quite old fashioned when I went but someone said it has improved.

You might attend a concert, opera etc at the Teatro Argentino de la Plata which is a block or two from the cathedral. They have a very fine concert hall and give some very good performances.

The train goes to La Plata from Constitucion but it is in bad condition and not that safe but the station is quite interesting. It was used in a scene that was supposed to be in Germany in the film Seven Years in Tibet.

marksoc said:
Compared with what? Monte, Chascomus, Azul, Tandil, even little Cañuelas are nice places. Each town is different (but similar) each has its quirks, grand buildings, strange architechture (have you seen "Historias Extraordinarias"?)

Compared with Argentine towns. Tandil is pleasant - way above average. I forgot to mention that along with La Plata. Tandil is far away, however and a city, not a small town. They have an expensive spa there and get a good deal of tourism. When I went there was a lovely cheese shop / cafe. La Plata is very close, also a city but suitable for day trips.

Have not been to Azul but I plan to make a retreat at the Trappist monastery some day. Is the town nice? It's very far from BA, however, and couldn't possibly be a day trip.

Don't know Monte and Cañueles. The towns I have seen in the province of BA are sad places -- poor, dingy plazas, tree trunks painted white, stray dogs everywhere, untidy places . I know that some places are more prosperous and pleasant than others but on the whole I believe my assessment was accurate. I went to Pergamino a couple of years ago. it's really a city and was prosperous looking but without any character. I had hoped that Argentina would have some lovely colonial style towns -- something like the historic part of Colonia in Uruguay but I haven't found them. If they exist, tell me where they are as I want to go. I mean reasonably close to BA -- not Salta, San martin de los Andes or something like that.

If you decide to go to La Plata by public transportation, I recommend you to take the bus, either Retiro or bus 159 (el blanquito if I remember well). This bus goes through Avenida 9 de Julio in Capital Federal, which has a better atmosphere than estacion Retiro.

Yes, the bus will be safer but in daytime there is not too much risk of being robbed or assaulted on the train. Just don't wear expensive jewelry, watches, carry too much money etc. Definitely don't take the train after the sun sets. Constitucion station is not too nice, though, and the neighborhood is a mess. Retiro is much, much better. A shame about the condition of the train.

starlucia said:
I'm interested in exploring some small towns outside of Capital (other than good old Tigre and San Antonio de Areco)....
Love Tigre. A Chilean pilot friend of mine gave me an "Aviación Naval" cap with gold embroidered anchor and wings - always wear it (plus white shirt and well pressed beige trousers) when in Tigre, makes staying there interesting and easy :D

In the Musum in Lujan you can see Ramón Franco's heavier-than-air aircraft that crossed the Atlantic in January 1926, albeit almost four years later than Alcock and Brown.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/80/PlusUltra.JPG
http://www.lujanargentina.com/html/thmuseoplusultra.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_Ultra_(hydroplane)

Back