De-Dollarization Affecting Expats and Nomads

TejanoExpat

Registered
I've been reading a lot about this the last couple of months It means other countries are no longer using US dollars to trade with each other, for example China and Russia and using Yuan and Ruble, etc. Even Saudi Arabia is trading with China in their respective currencies.

I just read this about Argentina:

FYI, I'm planning a long trip to Mexico and I just discovered that the USD lost 11% of its value against the Mexican Peso (MXN) in the last year. And inflation in Mexico was about 8% in the last year, so prices will be 19% higher:
https://tradingeconomics.com/mexico/inflation-cpi

AND unlike ARG I'll have to pay the 19.5% IVA tax on everything (hotels, Airbnb, etc., although the IVA is lower on fresh fruits and vegetables).

So, y'all enjoy the Dolar Blue/Azul in ARG as long as it lasts!

Yeah it's been brutal in Mexico. The exchange rate has shifted the other way. I own several rental properties in Mexico and it's always been great the past several years as I charged in US dollars and paid expenses in pesos but shifted the other way so things have gotten expensive with the Mexican peso so high.

Some less informed Argentines believe that the Dollarization will work as follows, they will receive a dollar for every peso...! Other economists have mentioned conversion figures like 800 pesos will buy one dollar..!

Back