Dead Cow and CFK; The Future of Argentine Oil & Gas

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
In the wake of the YPF Takeover the stakes are huge for oil and gas exploration in Neuquen Province. And the majors like ExxonMobile, Royal Dutch Shell and others are antying up fortunes to be at the table for the chance of hitting potentially the third largest shale gas and oil jackpot in the world.

However, all the high-handed, big-world oil poker has pitted the very pragmatic centrist energy officials of this resource-rich province against CFK and her populist programs. The expropriation of YPF has "taken away the leverage the Neuqen provincial government had on running the energy sector," according to Carlos Pagni, anti-CFK colunmist for La Nacion.

Washington Post story here.

Even with the appointment of highly-respected Miguel Galuccio and the promises of Axel Kiciloff's "no more expropriations" the political future of oil and gas exploration and production in Argentina remains highly uncertain.

Do you think that the nationlistic policies of CFK and her government are enough to effectively stop oil investment here - and as a consequence deepen the very real problem of energy imports? Or, will Dead Cow breathe life back into an industry that went on life-support in April? How do you think this will play out?

I welcome your comments.

Come on --- shale gas and oil reminds me of the dot.com bubble except that with this madness there is a very real risk of permanently fouling the earth and the groundwater. I prefer to call it what it is: snake oil. I don't believe that anything good will ever come of it especially not in Argentina.

Whether or not shale oil will ever be economically feasible may remain to be seen but comparing it to market speculation (i.e. the dot com bubble) doesn't equate.

Technology (aka applied science) often ovecomes wishful thinking...and occasionally surpasses it.

Remember the A-bomb...not that there's anything wrong with it.:p

steveinbsas said:
Whether or not shale oil will ever be economically feasible may remain to be seen but comparing it to market speculation (i.e. the dot com bubble) doesn't equate.

Technology (aka applied science) often ovecomes wishful thinking...and occasionally surpasses it.

Remember the A-bomb...not that there's anything wrong with it.:p
I respectfully disagree as speculation is exactly what is being sought in order to try to develop these resources. I also believe that a lot of the press this subject is getting is directly designed to reel in the next batch of suckers err.... I mean investors.

Back