Dead Dogs In Palermo

I'm curious: has anyone ever had or known someone who has had toxoplasmosis? And how many people here have stepped in dog turd?

I'm curious: has anyone ever had or known someone who has had toxoplasmosis? And how many people here have stepped in dog turd?

I prefer data to anecdote. According to the Sociedad Argentina de Infectología, "La incidencia de la toxoplasmosis congénita, en nuestro país, se estima en 5‰ embarazos, con un rango entre 4,5 y 6,6‰. Efectuando una especulación sobre los 700.000 partos que ocurren en la Argentina por año y a una tasa de transmisión del parásito del 50%, podríamos decir que entre 1500 y 2300 niños padecen toxoplasmosis congénita por año."

I prefer data to anecdote. According to the Sociedad Argentina de Infectología, "La incidencia de la toxoplasmosis congénita, en nuestro país, se estima en 5‰ embarazos, con un rango entre 4,5 y 6,6‰. Efectuando una especulación sobre los 700.000 partos que ocurren en la Argentina por año y a una tasa de transmisión del parásito del 50%, podríamos decir que entre 1500 y 2300 niños padecen toxoplasmosis congénita por año."
Never met anyone with it either, huh?

So, you take the pseudo-scientific approach quoting something without providing a reference...

Psst! Check out an educational video about how reliable statistics can be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDj_bN0L8XM

Also, turns out that an overwhelming (!!) 1/3rd of the population have toxoplasmosis, but it is harmless.
Still, in pregnant women it is more dangerous (!!!) but again, only 1/3rd of infected women will actually give birth to a baby with toxoplasmosis.
And of these babies born with toxoplasmosis, only about 4% of them are in any lethal danger.

http://www.revistabioanalisis.com/arxius/notas/nota3_30_Bioanalisis.pdf, page 3

So let's see, that's...

4% of babies who are born of a third of a third of all pregnant women. How many women are pregnant right now, do we have stats for that??

Yeah, I'm going to say people step in dog crap way more often.

Oh! One more thing for our number-loving peeps! It seems the Black Plague killed an estimated 75 to 200 million people in Europe. The cause were fleas that were found on rats that were everywhere because people liked to go on witch-hunting, cat-killing rampages.

Back