Delta - ticket info/leaving USA

Italia311

Registered
Anyone who left the USA using Delta have problem with return ticket issue etc..? I've been reading on the internet about pepole not being able to board the plane without showing a return ticket or being denied entry on the plane/country for their return ticket extending past their visa stay?

Here is my situation. I have ticket booked (departure from toronto, stop-over in newyork and arrival at EZE) to argentina and a return 6 months later. I don't have a visa (I can stay up to 90 days with my current passport so I didnt bother) but I also don't plan on staying in Argentina for the entire 6 months, however I will be returning to Argentina to take my flight back. Im just wondering if I will get denied entrry to the plane because my ticket return date is passed my visa allowance.

Anyone have any first hand experience with this?

I don't have the answer though I have a feeling that they will accept the explanation that you will be traveling in the region and returning via Argentina. A complication is that as of January Argentina will be requiring visas, apparently issued on arrival at the airport, and no one seems to know if the high charge will be good just one time or for multiple entries.

If you speak Spanish well enough you can explain that you will be bussing from Argentina to another country, which should be sufficient. However, I doubt they will even ask; I flew into Argentina a few months ago with no return ticket and no one said boo.

We had no problems -came in on Delta from JFK, July 30 with a return trip to JFK on December 15.

I went through customs with a dog and 10 suitcases, which included a PC, laptop, flat-screen monitor, etc. They asked how long I was going to be here, and I said 6 months. The asked if I was leaving with everything I brought and I said yes. Sailed right through after that.

We already made the trip to Uruguay to renew the tourist visa too.

My brother has lived in South America off and on for the last 4 years, and we moved here to travel/live a month ago. His experience is hit or miss in terms of the airlines demanding to see onward travel. He has never had any issues with immigration in Argentina wanting forward travel documents.

If you are planning on traveling to Uruguay at some point, I have a solution for you. Log onto the Buque Bus Web site and buy a boat ticket to Uruguay. The dates are changeable and good for up to a year. You can print them out at home as proof of forward travel, should you need it. (Note, I could only buy the tickets using the Spanish version of the site, not the English.)

Good Luck!

micheleandtom.com

Thanks everyone for the help and opinions. I can't imagine them making a big deal about it but then again, who knows right? Luckily I am leaving on the 28th of December so I won't need to pay that Visa fee upon entrance.

Sleuth: I am assuming you had just entered with your passport as well. Delta didnt give you a hassel about it? My stop over is at JFK.

Thanks again everyone

Italia311 said:
Thanks everyone for the help and opinions. I can't imagine them making a big deal about it but then again, who knows right? Luckily I am leaving on the 28th of December so I won't need to pay that Visa fee upon entrance.

Sleuth: I am assuming you had just entered with your passport as well. Delta didnt give you a hassel about it? My stop over is at JFK.

Thanks again everyone

You might not have a problem in BA but you might have a problem in NYC. It's something to think about.

Did you talk to Delta at all? They should be able to advise you on thier policies.

Italia311, this IS a problem. As I was checking in for my flight (3hrs before) Delta told me that NOPE, I have to show that all is legit (going out before 90days to renew tourist visa) and there has to be a definite RETURN ticket date (you can always pay the fine to reschedule flight back). I come from California and YUP they are strict here too.
Luckily I had someone in BsAs get me a buquebus ticket then and there (went online) and in 25minutes I had exactly what DELTA wanted.
Better be sure and safe, before you get to the counter on flight day or you will be sorry. I have heard others denied departure.
Main office of DELTA said, they are fined ($$ and merit points) if they let people go into EZEIZA with questionable paperwork.
Hope this helps.

Hey guys,

I talked to DELTA today. The representative on the phone assured me 3 times that all I need is my passport and return ticket. However, this confirmation does conflict with the two previous posts. She told me all Canadian passport holders will be pre-screened at the Toronto airport before entering the USA and will not be check again in their transfer in NYC and that all I needed was proof of return ticket and my passport. Also added that they didn't care what my travel plans were once I entered Argentina.

So...I don't know what to do at this point. Guess I will have to talk with the consulate of Argentina in Toronto ( if its anything like dealing with the Italian one...which I'm sure it is...I'm pretty sure I'll get an answer in like 2 yrs.) couldn't hurt to purchase the buquebus tickets...its only like 80 peso i tink.

Italia311 said:
Hey guys,

I talked to DELTA today. The representative on the phone assured me 3 times that all I need is my passport and return ticket. However, this confirmation does conflict with the two previous posts. She told me all Canadian passport holders will be pre-screened at the Toronto airport before entering the USA and will not be check again in their transfer in NYC and that all I needed was proof of return ticket and my passport. Also added that they didn't care what my travel plans were once I entered Argentina.

So...I don't know what to do at this point. Guess I will have to talk with the consulate of Argentina in Toronto ( if its anything like dealing with the Italian one...which I'm sure it is...I'm pretty sure I'll get an answer in like 2 yrs.) couldn't hurt to purchase the buquebus tickets...its only like 80 peso i tink.

I don't understand what your concern is? If you have a round trip ticket you can get on the flight to BA, via USA, and be allowed into the Argentina. What you do after that is out of the hands of the airline.

If you show up at the airport without a return ticket then the airline might not let you on the flight as it is their responsibility to ensure that you will be admitted into the country that you are flying to. If you are not allowed in to the country than the airline (in this case Delta) are responsible to transport you back to your country of origin.

What is your question? Do you not want to buy a round trip or are you concerned what will happen when you don't use your round trip?

If you don't use your return trip on the day that you are schedule to come home then you forfeit the return. The fact that you are legal or not in the county doesn't concern the airline any more. But don't expect to use the return at a date other than that which you booked _UNLESS_ you change the date of the outbound flight BEFORE that date (if possible & by paying any fees and/or penalties for the change) within the validity of your return ticket. ie. if your return is for the 1st of January, then you fly home on the first OR change the date BEFORE the 1st (paying any fees & penalties). But don't expect to show up on the 2nd. Because then your return is no longer valid.

Does that make sense/help?

Back