Demystifying american expats rants

billsfan

Registered
Time to do some ranting on my own!! Woohoo!
Ok, I've been in upstate new york for like 4 days but already driven on the I90 (thruway) from Buffalo to Waterloo, back and forth... aswell as nearby roads and avenues.

Myth 1: Argentinians drive unsafely.

This one I'll divide it in 2:
a. city driving - EDGE: USA. Only because I acknowledge you are very very very respectful of the pedestrians. We are not. And also because you drive freakingly slow in the city streets.

b. road driving - EDGE: Argentina. I was amazed at the level of stupidity, dorkness and careless behaviour on the road. I might have gotten every stupid on the road at the same time, but it's unlikely.
* People cuts you in front of the car by ridiculous close distances (lack of ability to calculate risk/distances)
* 50% do not use turn lights to change lanes (stupidity)
* Dorks drive slowly on the fast lane (stupidity)
* 65 mph my ass. Add 15 mph as the common speed. End of story (of course this happens in Argentina also, but I've been told we were the only crazy ones)
I have been driving in Argentina for years and I've never seen those items THAT common. You people have a much greater pct of morons.

Also, nobody warns with high lights, or make the horn sound or give bad looks. That's why you people never learn. We educate with that in Argentina!! :)

Of course, that was after only 4 days and on the I90. I might have been awfully unlucky.

Myth 2: Argentinian food is dull.

Make it this: Americans live on the excess. Everything's got to be over 100%. You like it 110% spicy. 110% fatty. 110% badly presented. 20% tips.
I've been in only ONE supposedly "fancy" italian restaurant. They give you a big glass of ice, water and a straw if you ask for "water". The table was covered with a white paper.
Although the food was decent there, the locals like to order sandwiches and related. We seemed to be the only one eating with silverware.
Diners are the most common place to eat out. Hard to find variety.
I will go to an indian or chinese restaurant to see how immigration has favored variety. From now on, is going to be thai, chinese, or italian for me.

Myth 3: Pizza in Argentina is the worst.

OK, I'll give a minor edge to the US. I tried in a couple of chains, and they were really good. But here is the thing: Discussing this with a local, he told me that (for example) Buffalo people would say Rochester pizza is bad. And so on. Also, the crust cannot be just flour and water (again, the excesses). I'm sure something is making that so yellow, bendy and tasty.

So there you go. Recipes.

Myth 4: "I feel so unsafe in Argentina"

Granted. But not much more than the way I felt when I exited from road 33 earlier than needed in Buffalo. Luckily I had one "city girl" to assist me to get back on track.
Fuerte Apache is Nottingham compared to that place.

Myth 5: Argentinians are sloppy/dirty.

In the street: EDGE to USA.
In the bathroom: No bidet in america (you are not alone on this matter tho). End of story.

Gotta get back to work. That's it for the moment :)

4 days in Upstate NY and you can summerize for the USA? Hummmmmm? Oh well, at least you got to rant.

billsfan said:
Exactly :)
And I've been living all my life in argentina and most of you spend 6 months in Palermo.

Nice way to generalize the expats here, too, billsfan. Got any more sweeping generalizations you'd like to make?

MizzMarr said:
Nice way to generalize the expats here, too, billsfan. Got any more sweeping generalizations you'd like to make?

Expat rants are filled with sweeping generalizations. Locals deserve equal time.;)

MizzMarr said:

I think you did not read well... I stated the time and place i've been.
Anyways, I'm just teasing with all of you.

Ranting is fine, you're welcome to it, and, whenever you wonder why people rant, remember this IS a website FOR English speaking expats living in Argentina and it is a place people come to ask question, learn, rant, connect and so on. It's not personal. It's no different from when you tell your best friend how your wife can be such a crazy woman 3 days out of the month. You would never say this to your wife, but you need to say it to someone. If your wife eavesdrops she'll be upset. Argentines who dislike hearing it should be on this site, cuz that's what it's FOR...

billsfan said:
Myth 1: Argentinians drive unsafely.
This one I'll divide it in 2:
a. city driving - EDGE: USA. Only because I acknowledge you are very very very respectful of the pedestrians. We are not. And also because you drive freakingly slow in the city streets.

b. road driving - EDGE: Argentina. I was amazed at the level of stupidity, dorkness and careless behaviour on the road. I might have gotten every stupid on the road at the same time, but it's unlikely.
* People cuts you in front of the car by ridiculous close distances (lack of ability to calculate risk/distances)
* 50% do not use turn lights to change lanes (stupidity)
* Dorks drive slowly on the fast lane (stupidity)
* 65 mph my ass. Add 15 mph as the common speed. End of story (of course this happens in Argentina also, but I've been told we were the only crazy ones)
I have been driving in Argentina for years and I've never seen those items THAT common. You people have a much greater pct of morons.

(Amen brother, there are crazy people everywhere - though I have heard - not experienced - that the highways here have a much higher per capita deadly accident rate)

Myth 2: Argentinian food is dull.

Make it this: Americans live on the excess. Everything's got to be over 100%. You like it 110% spicy. 110% fatty. 110% badly presented. 20% tips.
I've been in only ONE supposedly "fancy" italian restaurant. They give you a big glass of ice, water and a straw if you ask for "water". The table was covered with a white paper.
Although the food was decent there, the locals like to order sandwiches and related. We seemed to be the only one eating with silverware.
Diners are the most common place to eat out. Hard to find variety.
I will go to an indian or chinese restaurant to see how immigration has favored variety. From now on, is going to be thai, chinese, or italian for me.

(Argentine food is not only boring it's gross. If you go to truly good restaurants ((not with paper on the tables)) you will find that many high end places in the states have gorgeous, gourmet, organic, tastefully prepared food. Perhaps because you chose "Italian" you missed out on the truly fine, creative delicacies being prepared in some amazing restaurants in the states. Also, please note that if you come from a place with boring food you WOULD think our food was too flavorful, too much, and so on. This is of course, in the end, a PERSPECTIVE issue. When I say gross I mean greasy red meat, white flour, canned or frozen vegetables. I have eaten in some of the best restaurants in this city (BA) for over 2 years and have consistently been disappointed. If you spend 2 years in NYC and dine with locals and well traveled expats and THEN you think the food sucks, I'll listen to you)

Myth 3: Pizza in Argentina is the worst.

OK, I'll give a minor edge to the US. I tried in a couple of chains, and they were really good. But here is the thing: Discussing this with a local, he told me that (for example) Buffalo people would say Rochester pizza is bad. And so on. Also, the crust cannot be just flour and water (again, the excesses). I'm sure something is making that so yellow, bendy and tasty.

(Don't eat Pizza in "chains" in fact, don't eat anything in chains, gross, eat pizza in very good wood-fired pizza places. One of my favorites in BA is Pizza Piola, as good as any in the states but not the norm in Argentina. I think you can buy cheap gross pizza anywhere but most people I know don't eat pizza in chains here or there)

Myth 4: "I feel so unsafe in Argentina"

Granted. But not much more than the way I felt when I exited from road 33 earlier than needed in Buffalo. Luckily I had one "city girl" to assist me to get back on track.
Fuerte Apache is Nottingham compared to that place.

(personally I never really unsafe anywhere. I don't go out alone late at night or walk around alone in bad neighborhoods which exist everywhere)

Myth 5: Argentinians are sloppy/dirty.

In the street: EDGE to USA.
In the bathroom: No bidet in america (you are not alone on this matter tho). End of story.

(get your English usage straight - sloppy means your appearance and it has nothing to do with dirt. Bidets are not standard in the states but you can buy one if you build your own home. My own experience is that homes in the states are generally cleaner. I don't know any Argentines with whom I am close enough to comment on their personal cleanliness, though I assume it is fine. Clothing and presentation on the streets here is below the coastal standards in the states. Particularly the men who don't shave, cut their hair and who wear sloppy, old, beat up clothes that don't fit properly and haven't been ironed. When you say the myth is "Argentines are dirty" and then you mention the street that isn't really on target. The streets in Buenos Aires are VERY dirty, but that doesn't mean Argentines are dirty, it means they don't care about their streets. I'm a neat freak so I can't really speak to the cleanliness of other people's bathrooms, plus, you'd have to go into an awful lot of bathrooms to make an honest comparison)

Remember, this is an open forum, but it exists for people to connect and rant about this stuff. Thanks for your thoughts. What I like about hearing it is it reminds me that in the end this stuff is ALL about PERSPECTIVE. I have friends who've lived in India and they think the streets are super clean here....

billsfan said:
Anyways, I'm just teasing with all of you.
This is not the right forum for that - humor seems to be in short supply. Indignation isn't.

SaraSara said:
Expat rants are filled with sweeping generalizations. Locals deserve equal time.;)

Fair enough!

and as HotYogaTeacher said, this does serve as a good reminder that this all (all) is about perspective.

:D

Back