Desperate for raw or pasteurized milk

james p

Registered
can't make cheeses with ultra pasteurized milk....anyone know where I can find it.....any ex pats doing a little ranching? also goat milk for chevre

Hard to find in the city, there are a few organic stores that sell it, Google is your friend here.

Yop, 50 kms/30 miles north from BA where I live, you can find real raw milk (the real stuff that needs to be used within 24 hours) but you have to buy it straight from the farm.

Be careful if using un-pasteurised milk, especially in a country like argentina, where you dont know if they do regular testing of stock for TB.. people can contact TB, e coli and sammonella from un-treated milk..

If you do go direct to a dairy farm to get it, check out the cow shed (milking shed) to see how clean it is..

Historically there have been health problems with dairy production in Argentina -- lots of children go sick, this is why now all the milk is pasteurized and boasts of less than whatever quantity of bacteria in their product. Hence most soft cheeses here just aren't the same as other countries -- they don't get the lovely bacterias growing as you'll find elsewhere....

Historically there have been health problems with dairy production in Argentina -- lots of children go sick, this is why now all the milk is pasteurized and boasts of less than whatever quantity of bacteria in their product. Hence most soft cheeses here just aren't the same as other countries -- they don't get the lovely bacterias growing as you'll find elsewhere....

This is new to me, never heard of that. I know a lot of people in smaller cities in the Provincia de Buenos Aires raising children with non.pasteurised milk. However, one has to be careful and check the farm the milk comes from...and eventually request veterinary certificates. I think the main reason for pasteurised milk in Argentina is the poor cold supply chain.

Some should try the infamous Casgiu Merzu from Corsica / Casu Marzu from Sardinia :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

The only (?) cheese for which you have to remove the worms before eating it ! (it's also called "the cheese that moves by itself").

Bon appétit !

fromage_corse.jpg

That's the most disgusting food I have ever seen. Reminds me of the day when I was told that chinchulines have no filling, that they are just either cleaned out or not. Had to check wikipedia to believe it and never ate them since then.

But, as I said I am looking for raw milk or pasteurized milk. I have no intention of using raw milk before I pasteurize it. all of the milk you get in the capital is ultra pasteurized which just does not work for cheeses.If anybody knows how to get either raw or Truly pasteurized milk, I would appreciate the info. I live in the city and have no car. a few times I got milk that was supposedly pasteurized but as it turned out it was ultra. I guess they just went to coto and put the milk in a jug and skipped with the difference in price......so what else is new? anyone with a good contact will enjoy fresh Italian mozzarella.........oh how we all miss that!

Back