Desperate for raw or pasteurized milk

Reviving this, (probably futilely) hoping that maybe a source for non-ultrapasteurized milk has sprung up in the last few months. I'm not looking for raw milk for cheesemaking, just for milk that doesn't taste strangely chemical. Organic would be terrific.

Has anyone has found good-tasting, non-ultrapasteurized (although pasteurized is fine) milk for sale here? If so, please let me know. Thanks.

A

AmyP- Go to the El Galpon Farmers Market every Wednesday & Saturday. The market is behind the SUBTE station on Avenida Federico Lacroze 4181 | Tel: 54+|11| 4552.2257 http://www.mutualsentimiento.org.ar/index.php?articulo=2 , The first big booth you will come to a little past the entrance is where you can get the raw milk. Nestor is the man who runs the booth and the milk comes from his farm. You will need to order it when you show up as it is in high demand and usually EVERY liter is reserved. He also has cheeses & raw cream. I hope this info qualifies me for some of that real deal mozzarella! Personally, I miss Jack cheese & REAL blue cheese. I cannot find Jack cheeses here and the the stuff they call blue cheese is not at all tasty to me...

When I drank milk, I would make kefir with milk from the store, it tasted awful. Then I started buying milk from this farmer in El Galpon in Chacarita. I think it's really fresh, the fat of the milk was on the top and it had a different color, sort of like raw milk in NY and it tasted good. But I am not sure anymore, plus so much has changed in this market since the owners have changed, they are not as ethical and are more about making money now. So be careful, ask around first, and not to anyone who is working in the market. I think Bomplant market is good, I went there today, and it looked they sold dairy products. The farmers market in Dorrego is a good place to ask, they might know someone, these people seem real nice, but they don't sell dairy products from what I saw, but they do know some good farmers and can probably send you to a decent one.
I agree, you should be careful in where you get your milk from, because they are not so clean here. I went to Quinta in a province in BA and they use to make jams and sold them at El Galpon, (this was two years ago) and the condition of the kitchen was gross. The flies in the compost (which was inside the house) were flying all over the kitchen and they also had stray cats inside the house. So know your farm or Quinta, I suggest visiting. If they have nothing to hide, they will let you visit, from my experience.

James, I see that you are still looking for milk to make cheese with. I have found a local provider with regular pasteurized milk and I have made cheese with it last week too. So it works. You can order and have it delivered to your home from El Rincon mentioned above or buy the same milk for half the price at verdesabores dot com. I have bought from both the last couple weeks. Also, if you need supplies for making cheese I have found citric acid, calcium chloride and rennet (Cuajo de queso) at a pharmacy located at Pueyrredon 609 in Once or you can buy it from him on Mercado Libre under the user "CUTEGONZALEZ". I hope this helps you out.

G1082972514136.jpg

That pic of a "living cheese" provided by french jurist reminded me of a scene from "Les bronzés font du ski". Still laughing at it after 30 years...:D

There is a diatetica in Chinatown that sells goat (and soy) milk. I don't know the name of it but it's on the main drag on the right-hand side after passing through the big gate.

I think the milk at El Galpon was what you call raw milk. It was in glass milk bottles with what looked like cream at the top. When I go Saturday I will take a photo if that helps. Should I just ask if it is pasteurized?

New York said:
I think the milk at El Galpon was what you call raw milk. It was in glass milk bottles with what looked like cream at the top. When I go Saturday I will take a photo if that helps. Should I just ask if it is pasteurized?

Abso-#%€&@-lutely!

Back