Desperately Need Advice From Us Parents With Argie Kid(S)

nyer4ever

Registered
Normally the US Embassy is really helpful via email, but they along with the US Customs office have failed to answer my question.

My daughter was born here, I registered her birth with the US Embassy and have the "certificate of foreign birth abroad."

We're going to the US for visit, she obviously needs to travel with her Argentina passport because she was born here ... what am I supposed to show the US Immigration once I get there? The Certificate of Foreign Birth seems strange to show... is the US Embassy supposed to put a special stamp in her passport?

VERY confused ... any clarity would be greatly appreciated.

If you are in BA, make an appointment to speak to a consular official. That way you will get the CORRECT answer and not speculation.

Children born in Argentina to U.S. citizen parents, except those in diplomatic or official status, acquire Argentine citizenship at birth as well as a possible claim to U.S. citizenship. They are dual nationals, and are required by Argentine Immigration authorities to use Argentine passports to leave Argentina. All U.S. citizens are required by law to present a valid U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States (Section 215 b of the Immigration and Naturalization Act).

http://argentina.use...y.gov/crba.html

Your daughter needs a U.S. passport to enter the U.S.

Both are correct. Get yourself and your daughter to the Embassy. You need to make an appointment online and you can do that at the Embassy website.

Good luck!

GS

Really strange that you didn't get the US passport along with the CRBA in the same appt. The appt in the system is called passport/report of birth abroad...perhaps you did it as part of a mission trip to elsewhere in Argentina in which case you didn't use the appt system. All US citizens must enter US with US passport. Upon getting the passport appointment, you should get the passport within a couple days. Referred to earlier tonight, please make sure you have your permiso de viaje if not traveling with the other parent in order to leave Argentina. Without it...you are not going anywhere.

Edit: If you have time and are nearer to Salta or Cordoba. There are missions coming up. http://argentina.usembassy.gov/mobile//service.html

Normally the US Embassy is really helpful via email, but they along with the US Customs office have failed to answer my question.

My daughter was born here, I registered her birth with the US Embassy and have the "certificate of foreign birth abroad."

We're going to the US for visit, she obviously needs to travel with her Argentina passport because she was born here ... what am I supposed to show the US Immigration once I get there? The Certificate of Foreign Birth seems strange to show... is the US Embassy supposed to put a special stamp in her passport?

VERY confused ... any clarity would be greatly appreciated.

A US passport of course or a VISA in her passport. Otherwise the company is not going to allow you to take the flight.

Reactions: ben
A US passport of course or a VISA in her passport. Otherwise the company is not going to allow you to take the flight.

Correct. The issue in these cases are always the airlines and not immigration.

Once you land on US soil, any proof of US citizenship will suffice to be admitted into the US, if not without hassle - they simply cannot deny entry to a US citizen. But there is no way the airline will let you board without normal documents (read: US passport or visa) or extraordinary circumstances, probably with an Embassy letter and advance airline approval.

Have you gone through the whole process of transferring US citizenship to your child? As far as I can remember, we first got our son's US passport and later on the certificate of birth abroad.
If you have your child's US passport, he has to leave Arg with Arg passport and enter the US on his US passport, leave US with US passport and re enter Arg on Arg passport.
If you don't have his US passport contact your embassy.

When we went to register her birth I chose not to get the US Passport thinking it wasn't really necessary since she can only leave/enter on her Argentine passport. I thought it would be something for down the road, not for an infant. My mistake...luckily we're not traveling until July so we have time.

Thanks everyone for their time!

You're not aware that Argentine passport holders need visas to travel to the US? That's another good reason to get your kid a US passport.

Back